hardened control centres

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

will matthews
NER Y7 0-4-0T

hardened control centres

Post by will matthews »

Hi,

I am new to this forum so I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing you would all know about, but does anyone have any information on the 10 or so hardened control centres that were built by lner? I understand some were underground. I am particularly interested in the one at shenfield.

Thanks

Will
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

I've had dealings with two relocated control centres, Knebworth and Blankney and Metheringham. Certainly an interesting subject.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

hardened control centres

Post by 52D »

There was a discussion on another group about these a while ago i will try to find the link.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

Yes, a very interesting subject. If you can get hold of a copy of 'By Rail to Victory, the story of the LNER in wartime' it gives some details of how it was necessary to evacuate many of them to the country, thus the Southern Area Supt. established his Western Control at Gerrards X, where it served the old GN and GC sections. His Eastern Control went to Shenfield and the KX District Control to Knebworth, the Doncaster Control to Bawtry and the Manchester District Control to Godley. At York both the NE and District Control burrowed beneath the city wall. Norwich District Control found a convenient rampart by Thorpe station whilst Cambridge put its District Control into a semi-basement and later, when invasion became a threat, this office was fortified so that it became a strong-point.
The buildings were still at Shenfield the last time I went by, they are down in the vee between the Down Southend and Down Main lines at the country end of the station, single story brick built structures and with blast doors on the windows when I first saw them. The KX District Control stayed at Knebworth until the late 50s when it moved to GN House Euston Rd NW1 but I think the Eastern Control returned to that well known slum called Hamilton House, EC2 earlier than that. One of the few offices where you could get your hands dirty just by resting them on a desk!
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites.shtml

There may be something in here.