J25s Abroad

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

J25s Abroad

Post by 52D »

During WW2 some J25s were loaned to the GWR i think this was to cover for GWR engines that had been called up so to speak. What duties did the J25s do and where were they shedded.
EDIT i had J21s on my mind when i wrote original thread and mr hitchin pointed this out apologies to all.
Anyway it seems the GWR Dean goods locomotives were called up and the J25s and some LMS 3Fs replaced them. It would be interesting to know what the GWR enginemen made of them as the LNER had just started to scrap them prior to the outbreak of war so they must have been in poor shape when the GWR got them.
Last edited by 52D on Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

Think they stayed at home, looking in the RTCS greenie, it was the J25s that went to the GW, 40 of them, to the Worcester and Wolverhampton divisions, with one getting itself transferred to RDG then OOC. Among other sheds to have them were Chester, Croes Newydd, TYS, Shrewsbury, Stourbridge, Hereford, Kidderminster, Worcester and Gloster.
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!