LNER Loco Coaling Plant

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

PaulG
NER J27 0-6-0

LNER Loco Coaling Plant

Post by PaulG »

Dear All

I've just joined the group, but for the past 20 years I have been the Editor of the Great Eastern Railway Society Journal - so hopefully I can help with queries which are raised on East Anglian railways.

I now have time to return to model railways and a 4mm layout of Colchester loco shed I started to build before I became Editor!

The LNER carried out a program of modernisation to loco sheds in East Anglia, including the provision of Mitchell loco tub coalers - photos of these coalers appear in e.g. Chris Hawkins GER Shed book and the LNER shed booklet. Can anyone advise if a drawing of these coalers is available with enough detail to build a 4mm scale model?

Many thanks

Paul
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Paul,

Are the Mitchell Loco tub haulers the same as or similar to the Stothert and Pitt type commissioned by the LNER in the 1930s and installed at Frodingham, Hatfield, Hitchin, Retford, Marylebone,KingsX, Yarmouth Beach and Parkeston Quay?

If so you are in luck, because Walsworth Models supply a kit and I have a 4mm one that has not yet been started, having decided to provide my MPD with a proper NER coaling stage.

Colombo
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Hi Paul, Welcome to the forums!

We've had a few queries so far, but the forums have only been up for a few months, so not too many. If it is anything like Colombo and the NER, your expertise will attract fans for the GER / GE Area! :)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
PaulG
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by PaulG »

Colomo

Many thanks for the reply - yes, I think I am correct in saying the LNER obtained the equipment from two suppliers - certainly photos of the plant at Colchester "looks" the same as the plant at Parkeston and King's X.

I checked out various model magazines and a "Google" search but couldn't find anything listed, so again many thanks for the help.

Regards

Paul
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Colombo wrote:Paul,

Are the Mitchell Loco tub haulers the same as or similar to the Stothert and Pitt type commissioned by the LNER in the 1930s and installed at Frodingham, Hatfield, Hitchin, Retford, Marylebone,KingsX, Yarmouth Beach and Parkeston Quay?

If so you are in luck, because Walsworth Models supply a kit and I have a 4mm one that has not yet been started, having decided to provide my MPD with a proper NER coaling stage.

Colombo
Hi
Any pictures/drawings of your NER Coaling Stage
thanks
Mick
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Mick,

I am still in the process of building the NER coaling stage. I did a bit of research and found some useful photos in Bolger's "BR steam motive power depots.

The type I had in mind were relatively small to fit into my model. A brick stage with a steep ramp up to it held a number of wagons, I would guess never less than 4. There were two or more drawbridges which were counter weighted and these dropped down onto the tenders and the coal tubs were pushed out and tipped. Conversations with an old LM Region engine driver indicates that the act of pushing the coal tub onto the draw bridge forced the bridge down. The tub was stopped from falling into the tender by curved rails.

So far I have built a base with roof beams and a corrugated iron back. The track is in situ and I can push 4 wagons up the incline with a J72 or similar. The wagons have chain link couplings with Kadees on the ends of the rakes of four and also on the loco. There are two rakes, one full and and one empty. There is a short siding at the back of stage for the full wagons. Really there should be several.

The draw bridges work by means of two Fulgerex motors under the baseboards. Rods slide up and down the inside of square brass tubes representing the heavy timbers in the H frame. You should be able to work out how these work looking at the photos. I have yet to build the numerous coal tubs required and the roof and ends need completing.

Water cranes were fitted to the front of the stage.

The first photo, by John Houghton, shows the stage at West Hartlepools MPD.http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/ ... lepool.jpg

The next is of my incomplete model, which requires the addition of the roof, walls, water cranes and coal tubs.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i116/ ... 010053.jpg

I hope that these are self explanatory.

Colombo
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hi
Many thanks for the photos very interesting and a great model

Mick
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER Loco Coaling Plant

Post by 65447 »

Does anyone have a copy of MRJ 154 which has either simply a review or, hopefully, a 'build' of the Walsworth LNER/BR coal loader? If it's a 'build' then I'd be grateful to know if it is helpful in constructing one in 7mm scale. If not in MRJ, does anyone know of any other magazine that has carried an article about it?
Colombo

Re: LNER Loco Coaling Plant

Post by Colombo »

MRJ no.154 just has a very small photo and 10 line commercial for the kit which cost £47.20 for a 7mm kit in 2004. There is photo on page 54 of GNR Engine sheds by Griffiths and Cooper of the very similar Hatfield coaler.
I still have not started my 4mm kit yet.
Colombo