LNER coaches

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

LNER coaches

Post by hq1hitchin »

Don't seem to see very much about HNG's coaching stock on this forum - indeed, a casual viewer would be forgiven for thinking he only designed (very large)locomotives - normally A3 or A4 Pacifics! Anyway, for those who want an atmospheric fix, go to the Severn Valley Rly, like we did today, and try travelling in their restored TSOs, most atmospheric and presumably with pukka decor such as the mocquette, light fittings and rexine - esp the loos which seem to work and are so redolent of the 1930s. There is even a framed photo of the man above the counter in the Buffet Car. Well done the SVR
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
YNMR
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by YNMR »

Ride in the gresley coaches at the North Yorkshire Moors as well & have an equally enjoyable experience 8) 8)
52A

Post by 52A »

I have recently aquired a Gresley full brake in blood and custard without any lettering. Can anyone give me a clue as to the correct lettering and layout please?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I stand to be corrected, but I don't believe any of these were painted B & C. I think it ought to be crimson or maroon, depending on your era. AFAIK the only BGs given the carmine/cream livery were the Thompson ones built for the Elizabethan.
hq1hitchin

Post by hq1hitchin »

Could well be, but nothing is for certain in this life and that certainly went for coaching stock. Oddly enough, we were talking about a BR suburban BS (Brake Second - non corridor) that suddenly appeared in the KX Division fairly late on in blue and stencilled 'Leeds Central No1' years after that station had closed and that was long before blue had been adopted for such vehicles. Where on earth had it been for all those years? Just might be a Gresley BG was painted in B&C, but I certainly don't recall seeing them in BR blue and grey, either - a privilege reserved for the buffet cars and a very few sleeping cars.
52A

Post by 52A »

Maybe the reason it was never fully completed was because it was going in for a repaint first!
hq1hitchin

Post by hq1hitchin »

Yes, a bit of a mystery. Mind you, it can now be revealed that when we were short of passenger vans at KX for the 'overnights' in the late 60s, we sometimes sent an odd BS or two to somewhere like Sunderland - I wonder if any are still there?
52A

Post by 52A »

Probably still around somewhere in use as pigeon lofts!

Biggest problem we used to get at Newcastle was when the Grate Western sent out of gauge parcel vans on the Bristol Mail and they had to be sent back OGLOs. Strange thing is they never seemed to gouge the sides out of anything on the way up!