Weardale Railway

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Weardale Railway

Post by 52A »

GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Weardale Railway

Post by 60041 »

Good news. I have visited Weardale quite a few times and have always thought that both the railway and the area have huge tourist potential.
Some friends of mine are volunteers at the railway and are quite optimistic about the future.
M&D
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by M&D »

Just a draft point. What is the long term aims of the weardale railway. I know they want to connect with Bishop Auckland, but what about westwards?? I recall at one time there was a suggestion to push back to Wearhead. This is a beautiful unspolit area which would surely attract tourists, walkers and locals...did a connect to Alston ever get thought about by the NER??
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

I think it was considered but that is as far it got.
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

Report in current R. M. p.11 that the the rumoured American buyers of the Weardale Railway may intend concentrating on a freight only operation, though where the traffic would come from I'm unsure, as the cement works, which ensured its survival in B R days, are long gone. The hope is that some kind of volunteer weekend or holiday passenger operation might still be possible.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

How close does the line go to the Lafarge / Blue Circle quarry, or is this the one that you are talking about? I thought it closed much more recently.

There's a plan to turn the quarry site into a geothermal resort - could be an interesting tie in with a tourist railway?

(A geothermal resort might seem weird, but I have a recent paper somewhere on the results of a deep borehole drilled at the site. Heat is from radiogenic decay in the Weardale granite batholith)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

The line ran through what was the cement works which were in the valley whilst the actual quarry was up and over the hill.
Some cement wagons were actually trapped in the yard after the line closed, I don't know if they were scrapped on site or taken away by road.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

This link to multimap should illustrate the situation.
Do not know how old the photo is though as I believe the site has now been flattenned and cleared.
Can anyone else confirm?
http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=wearda ... 20DL14%206
stembok
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by stembok »

Richard:The Blue Circle /Lafarge Works was indeed the one to which I was referring and, as I pointed out, the reason for the lines survival in the 1960s- actually 1964 - when the works was opened. The works, closed in 2003 and were demolished quite recently, but long before that the cement traffic had been transferred to the roads from early 1993 and at this point B R proposed closure. This led to the setting up of the preservation society to save the line. There is currently a proposal for a geothermal energy plant on the site of the works
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I see the quarry is to the south. Looks like there might be some vehicles in the quarry as well. I know it closed in the "10 or so years" period(?) although the borehole was drilled a couple of years ago.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia