High Shields Station

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

pasco
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

High Shields Station

Post by pasco »

Hi

Can anyone give me any information on where High Shields station (last stop before South Shields) stood? I have very vague memories of passing through on the train from Newcastle to Shields, but beyond that, have no clue of where it actually stood.

Also, anyone with this info, why was it not included on the Metro route? I think it was "replaced" with Chichester, but why replace it at all? Likewise, why was Tyne Dock station remodelled and moved? Cheers, Paul.
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: High Shields Station

Post by 52A »

High Shields was to the west of the Metro realignment just off Laygate Street.

http://www.keystothepast.info/k2p/usp.n ... +home+page

This link allows you to centre a map on a particular place in the north east and then step back in time and see how things have changed using old OS maps, although you will have to do a fair bit of panning across until you centre on the area you are interested in.
pasco

Post by pasco »

Thanks 52A - really helpful.
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

I have the cast bridge plate from the former railway bridge at Tudor Road ( 5A )
very close to where the station was. South Tyneside public works had a stores on the exact site of the station but I believe this has now another use. some of the railway retaining walls still exist at Tudor Road on the East side.very little else remains.
The station was about where the building in the centre of the scan is.
Attachments
High Shields.jpg
HIGH SHIELDS.jpg
pasco

Post by pasco »

That info is great, as are the pictures. Cheers for that. Do you know why High Shields wasn't included on the Metro line? And was the station demolished immediately the Metro opened? I can remember the station buildings at South Shields being there, but I guess that was different as the Metro station does kind of occupy the same site...
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

Pasco,

If it helps here is a map of the railways around the Harton and Boldon area showing the location of High Shields station.

Malcolm
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

Some good pics of the station in question here :-

http://website.lineone.net/~d.ord/Railways.htm