LNER Wagons Lettering

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

J Yoder
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

LNER Wagons Lettering

Post by J Yoder »

This is a total newbie question --

I've found few photos of freight wagons lettered for the LNER. Most of them seemed lettered for the NER. Was there a particular reason for this?
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER Wagons Lettering

Post by 52D »

NE was a shortened form on LNER locos to save paint during the war perhaps the same applies to goods stock.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

J Yoder wrote:This is a total newbie question --

I've found few photos of freight wagons lettered for the LNER. Most of them seemed lettered for the NER. Was there a particular reason for this?
Standard LNER good stock livery was NE in large letters pre 1936 and small letters after that date.

The North Eastern Railway always used NER on their goods stock.
J Yoder
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by J Yoder »

I had assumed that NE was for NER not LNER.

Thanks for the clarification. Like I said, total newbie question.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Bill: The NER also used "NE" on a lot of its hopper stock (if you class mineral as goods). I know I just lettered a 20 ton hopper like this. Double checked - yes Tatlow (the NER/HBR volume) has hoppers that use both. The trend seems to be "NE" on the larger hoppers and "N.E.R." on the smaller but that was only from a cursory look.

The LNER also retained the NER's wagon numbers - the NER owned more wagons than any other of the constituents.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
gresleybear
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by gresleybear »

Looking at a photo of a wagon letter NE, it can be very difficult to decide whether the wagon belonged to the North Eastern Railway or to the LNER. Many wagons were owned by both companies. To add to the confusion, as has been pointed out above, the NER running numbers were retained by the LNER. Through the years there were many subtle changes in painting specifications, too complicated to discuss here. Nonetheless, I might suggest a simple way to tell one from the other. According to the North Eastern Record, Vol 2, the North Eastern Railway lettered their goods vehicles with NER or N.E.R. from the early 1890's until 1911. From then until the grouping, the lettering was changed to NE, 12 inches high. When the LNER took over in 1923, the NE was enlarged to 18 inches high. Starting in 1936, NE in 5 inch lettering appeared at the lower left. Hope this helps.