Yarmouth Southown Station Lights

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

matthew newman
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Yarmouth Southown Station Lights

Post by matthew newman »

I have a station lamp from Yarmouth Southown Station, I think it is from the late 50's / early 60's, it is a cast allumnium frame with engraved Perspex legend plates. The same style as at Sheringham Station.

I have reaserched various books and websites etc and haven't seen the station lights in any pictures. (I'm not sure if these were ever installed at the station)

Do any members have any pictures of the station lights installed at Yarmouth Southtown Station that they could forward on to me?

I would appreciate any information that will help me.

Many Thanks

Matt
PaulG
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Yarmouth Southown Station Lights

Post by PaulG »

Matt

There is a photograph of Yarmouth South Town Station on page 72 of Gavin Morrison book "The Eastern & North Eastern Then & Now", published by Ian Allan 1997.

The photograph is dated June 1954 and shows Class F-5 2-4-2T 67199 on a local train and clearly shows the lighting columns you describe.

Regards
Paul
matthew newman
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by matthew newman »

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your reply, the lamps in this shot aren't the same as the one I have.

I have attatched a pic this time.

Can anyone remember these???

Thanks again.
DSCF1293.JPG
Matt
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

Hi Matthew.

Mr Chips found me a similar Yarmouth South Town lamp just like yours some years ago.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

The lamps are standard late British Railways era.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
PaulG
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by PaulG »

Matt

A photo of the type of lamp you have of Yarmouth South Town appears in John Brodribb book "An Illustrated History of the East Suffolk Railway", p132.

In John's book he illustates the station in 1933 with gas lighting and after rebuilding 1953. Your style of lamp appears in the later view under the concourse canopy, but appears to be the process of being replaced as there are more distintly more "modern" lamps - in fact only one of the type you have is in view.

Perhaps your lamp is of LNER vintage and of the time when the station went from gas to electric lighting?

Regards
Paul
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

I'm pretty sure they are of LNER vintage but i'm still looking for pictures to confirm this..
matthew newman
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by matthew newman »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply, I've had a look at John's book (which I must confess, I've had several years) and there they were!! Doh!!!
I've always looked at external shots of the station and was thrown off course by the other station lamps!

I've had the lamp sand blasted and hope to restore it over the coming long winter nights!!

Many Thanks

Matt
AlanMoore
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by AlanMoore »

I have a lamp identical to the Yarmouth South Town Lamp which I recovered from Darsham on the East Suffolk line. Would be really interested to know when they date from? Are they unique to the Ipswich to Yarmouth South Town line? Alan
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

I have a New Barnet and Finsbury Park also..
matthew newman
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by matthew newman »

I have seen them at Sheringham and Wolferton too, so they must be fairly common. I'm not sure when they date from, but it appears they were installed at Souththown after the 1953 rebuild.

The Prov Patent Number on it is 7545-47. I'm not sure if the number is part of the date 45 or 47 maybe ???

Do anyone have an interior shot of the lamps showing the lamp holder set-up? Mine has been stripped bare and I hope to restore it over the winter months. I've looked at the lamps at Sheringham and not sure if they have been altered more recently!

Thanks

Matt
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

Mine are buried in storage but i think all original internals were removed. I will go digging.
AlanMoore
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by AlanMoore »

I think the one from Darsham is fairly intact. The electrical fittings are bakelite as far as I remember which dates it somewhat. It's buried somewhere in the loft at the moment. I will try and dig it out and get a pic of the interior. Alan
AlanMoore
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by AlanMoore »

Matt,

Here are some shots of my the lamp from Darsham on the East Suffolk line. The photos of the fittings are not particularly clear as I have a naff camera. If you need some more please shout.

Regards Alan
Attachments
Darsham lamp2.jpg
Exterior Fitting. The end is threaded.
Exterior Fitting. The end is threaded.
Interior bayonet type bulb fitting
Interior bayonet type bulb fitting
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

I'm pretty sure the internals of one of mine looks like this..