CLC station colours

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

9E
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

CLC station colours

Post by 9E »

Does anyone know what colours were used for CLC stations (and CLC goods sheds for that matter)? I am modelling a CLC station (Chorlton-cum-Hardy) just after nationalisation (and so assuming no repaint into LMR colours), but despite reading a number of books on the CLC haven't been able to find any information other than that the running-in boards are likely to have been black and white. If anyone can help with information or any indication where to look that would be great.

Thanks,

Simon
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: CLC station colours

Post by mick b »

9E
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 9E »

Thanks very much for the link. Unfortunately I can't find any specific reference to Cheshire Lines colours, although there are two postcards of Northwich station which are oddly placed in the LNWR section!

Simon
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

I have been having a trawl around and have not found much.

The best I can do is describe the signalbox colours, and even that is a bit vague.

The main timbers were in a mid to dark brown and the light coloured boarding was similar the Great Western "stone".

I found this in Portrait of the CLC book (see bibliography in the CLC section).
9E
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 9E »

Thanks for looking Solario.

I've looked at Portrait of the CLC, Dyckhoff's previous book and every other book on, or featuring, the CLC I can find and all at best seem to have cryptic references to station colours (e.g. two colour station canopy valances, platform canopies on different platforms being treated differently etc.), but nothing definite. Most of this seems to apply to colours pre-Grouping or at least before the parent companies took over more responsibility for different aspects of running the CLC in the 1930s. I'm beginning to wonder whether LMS or LNER colours were adopted.

Simon
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

Hi Simon,

I expect that you have seen the thread about the CLC post box, it may well interest you.

Just in case you havn't, it is here -

cheshire-lines-committee-t1865.html

Richard