The Elizabethen Express

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: The Elizabethen Express

Post by StevieG »

60027Merlin wrote:Lovely shot of Golden Plover in 1961. Here is one, in model form, of number 27 a year earlier in it's record breaking 76 appearances that year.
As well as '27', much appreciate the representations of the ground signal and a signal wire! :)
Congrats if the layout's yours!
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
60027Merlin
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 60027Merlin »

The layout is on RMWeb "Longdrem and the Pinkhill Branch". I can't get many photos transferred into this site as they are rejected by being too big a file size. I was surprised that this no. 27 photo got through!
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Nice picture there 'Merlin' very nice in fact, don't you just love em' :lol:

Boris, just been reading back on the last page, you said 'the hated 02's' I am assuming, it was the cab you did'nt like and not the engine, as a lot of GC men complained about the 'NEW' 8F's that replaced the 02's as being harsh and hard riding and not being any improvement over the smooth as silk riding 02's (there words not mine) could we/I have a first hand comparison please.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I wonder if Boris is referring to the horrid task of preparing them? OK, no inside valve gear but you did have an inside con rod and slide bars plus glands. And was access to the 2 to 1 gear as easy as it might have been?

Plus when worn the 2 to 1 gear did odd things to the beat of the engine giving rise, I would have thought, to huge dead spots.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
FrankNi
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by FrankNi »

Commenting on Driver Bob Marrable. I was a near neighbour to Bob in Wembley during the 1950's. I was 4 in 1953 and very keen on trains [still am], and Bob's wife treated me to going to King's Cross to meet Bob when he arrived on Leeds express. The loco was 60017, Silver Fox, and I was taken on to the footplate to meet both driver and fireman, who I am fairly certain was Roland Ruffel. I have only just learnt of Roland Ruffel's book "48 Years on The Footplate". I sat in the fireman's seat and recall clearly looking along the boiler and seeing the silver fox on the casing. Great excitement for a 4 year old. I also recall Bob had a daughter, Caroline, who was about 6 years older than I was, I started at the same grammar school as her, at the time she left. I do not know what year Bob passed away, believing that he had retired to Bournemouth. I do recall seeing Bob when passing my house on his way home from work and asking which engine he had driven today and being told "34" on more than one occasion.
D.Marrable
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by D.Marrable »

Bob Marrable
Was related to my Grandfather, Dave (David William ) - cousin, I think.
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

I’m keen to know a little about the Deltic era on the Elizabethan, summer 1962 only as I understand it.
On 18th June 1962 at the commencement of that Summer Timetable, there was some special attention given to The Flying Scotsman as it had reached its centenary. D9020 Nimbus worked the down FS that day and D9021 Royal Scots Grey the up and both were immaculate judging by the photos I’ve seen.

However the Lizzie wasn’t chronicled in quite the same way. I understand D9012 Crepello had the down run but does anyone know which Deltic hauled the up, please?

Similarly might anyone know which locos hauled the very last Elizbethans at the end of the service in the September?

Many thanks
Eric
Arichlife
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Arichlife »

Bob Marrable was my uncle. He was married to Ruby Maud Staines. He was quite a bit older. Don’t know a lot about him. Their daughter Caroline moved to Australia probably during the 80’s.
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Lizzie Deltic Update 18.6.62
From a reliable source I understand that

a)D9000 worked the UP Flying Scotsman that day after its naming ceremony at Waverley
b)D9021 was on the Up Elizabethan

c) D9020 was the down FS
d) D9012 the down Lizzie

Still don’t know any of the last Elizabethan Deltic workings; any clues from you chaps ( and/or ladies)?

Thanks Eric
PS I may soon have a ‘ The Elizabethan’ badge which I believe is a staff lapel badge.
Does anyone know any details on this type of item please?