Old LNER crest?

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jamesinealing
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Old LNER crest?

Post by jamesinealing »

Hi

I collect and trade vintage cameras, but in an auction lot I purchased this week there were a few items I think must be LNER related.

Firstly there is a hallmarked silver medal based on the LNER crest with the enamelled caption "L.N.E.R. (N.E. Area) A.A. - Athletic Championship" and it is engraved on the back "1 Mile Walk (1929) Second"

Secondly there are two leather-bound cases with a simplified crest just with the wings, heart and crown and the word 'Forward'. One case appears to be unused but designed to hold visiting cards or some such. It is wonderfully designed with concertina sides to alow it to expand. The other could be a cigar case but I am unsure. Both were made and are clearly marked "Drew & Sons, Piccadilly Circus".

You will find some rough pictures at http://www.catchingtherain.com/gallery/ ... ebay/lner/

Does anyone have any further information or commnets as I would like to confirm that what I have surmised is true, plus find out anything more I can about them. I am open to offers to find a good home for them, or may list them on eBay.

Thanks

James
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I'm afraid I don't have any further information of substance. I would think that LNER sports medals are unusual, but may not have the market that more railway-orientated LNER memorabilia might have. I suspect the final price would depend very much on who is in the audience - more so than a typical auction.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
jamesinealing
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by jamesinealing »

Richard

Thanks for the comments. I have now listed the boxes on eBay (just search for 'LNER card case' and you should find them) together with some much better pictures. The medals I will clean up first and date them from the hallmarks before listing.

Could you just confirm though, am I right in thinking that the simplified crown, heart and wings crest, together with the word 'Forward' is definately from LNER? It's alweays good to get these things described accurately and make sure they get to a good home.

Thanks again

James
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The middle crest with the LNER (NE Area) definitey is. On the wall infront of me there's a reproduction BR poster with the NER and LNER crests. It is the LNER one. The "Forward" motto also matches.

As does the "NE Area" designation. In a similar way as BR divided its network into 'regions', the LNER divided its network into 'areas'. These were roughly the same as the constituent railways - so the NE Area would correspond with the old NER railway.

I can't help with the heart and wings though. The "Forward" motto matches, but I know that it is also the motto of Churchill College Cambridge, and probably quite a few other organisations as well?

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
jamesinealing
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by jamesinealing »

Oh dear, now you've got me worried! At a quick glance I had thought the simplified crest was just like the symbol in the bottom-left of the true LNER crest, but looking at some images on the web I wonder now if that is actually some sort of thistle!

By the way, there's now a much better picture of the crest from the case at http://www.catchingtherain.com/gallery/ ... 4.jpg.html