Garforth Railways!

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

sri_130
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Garforth Railways!

Post by sri_130 »

Firstly a massive thankyou to Richard (who i think is responsible for the article on the Aberford Fly line?).
I spent a good hour reading that page, when i should have been in bed early for work the next day!
Amazing how you've got the pictures of all the trains! I've been reading up on the history of my old town, and was fascinated with what this site has to offer. I had no idea that there was more than one loco....

Anyway, im hooked! but need to find out more. The Fly line was a regular haunt for me as a child, but memory also serves a second fly line in garforth. Or at least thats what the G/friend calls it (she was from the other side of garforth to me).
It ran behind the Comprehensive school (you can still walk it, very scenic) via kippax to castleford i think. But i can't find much information on it. Can anyone help? i did managed to find however an old railway listing which said it actually closed in 1969. But then had ALLERTON MAIN in brackets at the end???

Any help greatly appreciated, and keep up the good work.
Phil.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Hi Phil, Welcome to the forums. Yes I've written all of the articles on this site which don't have specific credits.

I'm glad you like the page. It isn't technically LNER, but comes within the catchment area. I'm particularly interested in this line because I grew up not too far away in the Thorner/Shadwell area.

The definitive book is "The Aberford Railway and the History of the Garforth Collieries" by Graham S. Hudson. Out of print, but copies can be found on abebooks, etc. Covers a lot of the coal mining history for the Garforth area, as well as the Fly Line.
There have been some articles in magazines, but I'm still trying to trace copies.

There's a map in the above book which shows the NER Castleford Branch leaving the Leeds-Selby line near Church Garforth. This goes past Trench Pit which is marked with various sidings. Is the line which you are thinking of? There are a number of other branches, eg. the ones leaving at Manston to the pits just south of Cross Gates.

My understanding is that the pits south of the Leeds-Selby line generally survived longer. Even I can just remember some of the pits to the east and south of Garforth which were still being worked in the early 1980s, although they're long gone.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
sri_130
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by sri_130 »

Hi Richard.
Yes I suppose its not technically LNER but still makes for fantastic reading.
Thorner is a lovely place, many a time have I visited the 'Bee Hive' for a pint, although im not sure if its still there...

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on the book. I was hoping to try and find it for under £25 but looks like i'll have to part with the money at last to get a good reading.

Yep that is the line Im thinking of. Stocks Blocks (or stocks bro's) was formerly Trench Pit, which sits on Ninelands lane. The line must run off there and bear slightly right. Thats the one i've been trying to find info on.
Did this line carry passengers though or just goods/coal? I guess the answer might be in the book you mentioned!?

Garforth has some great history, do you know much more about the place? In particular the air-raid shelters in the East of Garforth and the large Wimpey housing estate errected also in the east (rumoured to be the biggest in europe at the time).

Sadly the flyline and its surrounding slag heaps have been dug out to make way for a new housing/industrial estate from Ash lane. The work is 50% completed at the moment and a large part of East Garforths history will be lost forever.

I might just have to visit the fly-line on my push iron. The shed in which the loco's were kept has gone, but im 90% certain that the house next to the shed is still standing right in the middle of the line.

:)
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I've just done some searching and haven't found much. Looks like it was a line that probably took passengers. Went via Kippax. It is on the following map, although the website author hasn't added all the lines yet:

http://www.railscot.co.uk/Leeds_and_Sel ... /frame.htm

No I don't know too much about Garforth history, beyond what is in the above book. I nearly walked the route when I was over in August, but that fell through for various reasons.
I thought the entire route was walkable - there's a walk description on the web somewhere (Leeds Ramblers, iirc).

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
sri_130
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by sri_130 »

Yeah sorry, the line is still walkable. The pit hills next to the lines have been dug up, but luckily the line (or the walkable part) is still there or so i'm led to believe.

I'll try and get down there with a camera, to take some pictures, they would be good to have 'just in case'.

All the best, thanks for your efforts.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

It sounds like it has changed a lot - what with the M1 link road crossing the route!

If you do get down there with a camera, let me know what you find.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Phil has sent me some colour photos taken of the Aberford Railway route as it is today. I've added them to the route section on the Aberford page:

http://www.lner.info/article/aberford/aberford.shtml

I've also added a new picture of Mulciber (the first of Aberford's Manning Wardle 0-4-0s).

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
LC&PJRlad1986
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Garforth Railways!

Post by LC&PJRlad1986 »

Hi all. I've had a couple of false starts at trying to get started on this forum but hopefully I'm off the ground this time!

The Garforth "fly lines" that you have referred to were the Leeds Castleford & Pontefract Junction Railway. I was raised just up the road in Swillington, have a strong interest in the railways of this area and have done some research into them. The best source of information I've found is a book by Ron Rockett entitled "Leeds Castleford & Pontefract Junction Railway - The Ledston Branch", published by Martin Bairstow. I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the line.

In general terms the line was opened in the last third of the 19th century as a more efficient means of transporting coal from Garforth, Swillington, Kippax and Allerton Bywater than using barges on the River Aire. The line almost didn't go ahead due to a lack of finance but the NER stepped in to enable the line to be built and this also lead to the introduction of modest passenger services. Passenger services actually ceased before Beeching wielded his axe on the railways of Britain although the line still carried passengers in summer months for holiday specials and enthusiast tours. This saw A1 Pacific's, Royal Scot's and other main line engines use the line. Additionally the line was sometimes used as a diversionary route for mainline expresses in the event of accidents or maintenance on the main line. Indeed Kippax station had the distinction of accomodating royalty when the royal train stopped there overnight on one occasion! Obviously the predominant goods on the line was coal (and lots of it), although there were also some services to support the villages adjacent to the lines and there was some stone transported off the line from a small quarry at Billywoods, near Kippax. From what I've been able to find out the line was operated on the principle of one engine in steam for it's entire existence.

The Garforth to Kippax section was the first to be ripped up after Trench Pit, Primrose Hill and Alleerton Main Collieries all closed. The next section to go was the line from the St Aidans opencut mine to Allerton Bywater. The final trains to use the line were merry-go-round coal trains which used the section of track from the mine at Allerton Bywater over the bridge at the river Aire and joined the Midland line from Castleford to York near the Castleford Tigers rugby league ground at Wheldon Road. From memory I believe that these trains stopped when the mine at Allerton Bywater finally closed in 1997.

There were also a substantial network of railways associated with the different coal mines attached to the branch line, although there isn't too much published literature or photographs of these. I do have some information about the railways for Allerton Main and Primrose Hill Collieries which joined the LCP&JR at Bowers Row (a halt station was built at this junction in the 1930's) to serve a new housing estate. Unfortunately the landscape where these lines once existed has been changed dramatically due to the St. Aidans Opencast coal mine development in the 80's and 90's and so there is little evidence of there existence. I do clearly remember that a semaphore signal was once viewable from Bowers Row in the area where the Allerton Main exchange sidings with the LC&PJR once were, but I believe this dissappeared at least 10 years ago. A new book by Ron Rockett (again published by Martin Bairstow) entitled "Castleford's Colliery Railways" promises to provide a whole host of new information about these lines and others in the surround area and I already have a copy on order!

Most of the LC&PJR line is still walkable (this was how I first found out about the line) although the final half mile at the Garforth end has dissappeared under development.The track at the Castleford end is still in place (as far as the Barnsdale Road bridge where Ledston station was once sited) and if you're willing to get a bit dirty you can still get access near the impressive but somewhat bridge over the Aire. The whole walk can be done in just over an hour and is very pleasant on a nice day. There are still some railway structures which have survived including several bridges (the best is just out of Garforth heading towards Kippax) and the Goods shed for Ledston station (at Allerton Bywater).

I have medium-long term plans to do a scale model of Kippax station and if anyone out there has photographs or informaton which could help I'd be extremely interested to hear from them. I've also got plenty of photographs of the line today that I can upload if people are interested? As you can tell this particular area is of particular interest to me (hence the username) and I hope that I've provided new information to some of you about the line. Having said that I'm only 23 so I wasn't there at the time and I'm still learning about it myself and would really welcome additional comments and discussion from anyone else out there.
w41tzer
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by w41tzer »

from recent memory i think its allerton bywater site on internet, very good coverage pictures, there was a station after kippax before allerton where another line joined from that st aidens mine, plan to investigate if i survive this bug thats about
alankippax
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by alankippax »

Re Garforth Railways

I have just discovered this excellent forum, so my reply may be a little late but I have a few nice photos of Kippax station if anyone is researching this subject. I lived opposite the station in the station cottages for many years so maybe able to supply any addition information. I would like to know any info for myself on when the station and lines were demolished as I had moved away from the area at this time.

regards Alan
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

alankippax wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:26 pm ... I have a few nice photos of Kippax station if anyone is researching this subject. I lived opposite the station in the station cottages for many years so maybe able to supply any addition information. I would like to know any info for myself on when the station and lines were demolished as I had moved away from the area at this time...
Wikipedia - usual caution - says closure in 1951.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kippax_railway_station
Additionally this rather useful site
http://disused-stations.org.uk/
might be interested in posting what content you could provide, at present they have no entry for Kippax.