NER Cottage homes

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: NER Cottage homes

Post by 52D »

Enclosed plaque on Tweedmouth housing.
Attachments
a.JPG
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

Union Park Road cottages, are they the ones on the south end of the Royal Tweed Bridge? I remember a lorry load of oranges crashing into those and all of the local school kids (me included) were allowed to help ourselves to the oranges! Life was much easier going then.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Aye thats where owld Tucker ,me grandfather lived before moving to sunnyside.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
bricam5
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by bricam5 »

There used to be a row of railway cottages in Hull down Hawthorn Avenue just beyond Chalk Lane signal box Anlaby road side of the crossing. Now demolished . I believe the area has now become David Whitfield Close. :roll:
Footplate ex Botanic Gardens & Bradford GN (Bowling)
Yorkshire born & bred
YNMR
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by YNMR »

Ken Hoole actually wrote a History of the North Eastern Cottage Homes - unfortunately it was never published - I would assume that if you wanted to inspect the work it will be available at the Study Centre at North Road Railway Museum in Darlington.

I found the reference to this in the May 1988 copy of North Eastern Express (magazine of NERA)

regards
Graham
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

YNMR wrote:Ken Hoole actually wrote a History of the North Eastern Cottage Homes - unfortunately it was never published - I would assume that if you wanted to inspect the work it will be available at the Study Centre at North Road Railway Museum in Darlington.

I found the reference to this in the May 1988 copy of North Eastern Express (magazine of NERA)

regards
Graham
Unfortunately the Study Centre is closed again.
As far as I know due to roof problems, no detail available at present as to when it will reopen.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Just noticed this afternoon another estate of homes in York alongside the former Bootham Junction opposite Rowntrees / Nestle factory.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I didnt realise that there were that many housing schemes. I seem to be collecting as many posts as serpent benches or tiled maps.
YNMR
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by YNMR »

You will find that the railway housing association has in excess of 1,400 properties. Mostly in the old NER area but not exclusivly, it even has properties in Hereford.
neilgow
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by neilgow »

There are also some NER cottages on Wandsford Road, Driffield not too far from the railway level crossing. With a similar to the Alnwick one.
Caledonian
NER J27 0-6-0
Location: South Gosforth LNER but Aberdeen (Kitty) originally

Post by Caledonian »

Malcolm wrote:
third-rail wrote:there are also some at s gosforth on haddricks mill road
I remember those. My Grandfather was offered one in the late fifties. Last time I was up north they were still there.

Malcolm
There's also a row of them on Woodthorne Road in Newcastle, just next to Ilford Road Metro station. Ilford Road is a new post-BR one, but the land they are built on is just next to the entrance to what was a goods yard of some kind - now largely occupied by South Gosforth First School. I imagine therefore that the railway already owned the land before the cottages were built and this may well be true of the other locations - it would male sense anyway.
Stuart

A fool is a person who makes false conclusions from right principles; whereas a madman, on the contrary, draws right conclusions from wrong principles [Encyclopedia Britannica 1797]
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

Situations vacant...in Teessides 'Evening Gazette' the other night the Railway Housing Ass where looking for a housing manager for Darlington /Co Durham area. 27/01/2010.

Mr B
BlythStationLad
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by BlythStationLad »

There are homes at Blyth and Lemington too. I'm pretty sure there will be many more still in existance.
namhills
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by namhills »

Hi all,

I know this is very late, seeing that the last post has been made in 2010 but I just figured I will shed some light into this in case anyone is still interested in those properties.

I have been interested in Railway Housing for quite a while now and have done some research for the course I am currently on at University.

Barnard Castle - 2 Bungalows - 1925
Shildon - 4 Bungalows - 1929
Middlesbrough - 4 Bungalows - 1929
Bishop Auckland - 2 Bungalows - 1933
Hartlepool - 2 Houses / 4 Flats - 1923
Redcar - 4 Bungalows - 1926
Thornaby - 8 Bungalows - 1934
Darlington - 40 Bungalows - 1926 - 1937
Guisborough - 2 Bungalows - 1933
South Shields - 2 Bungalows / 2 Houses / 4 Flats - 1935
Lemington - 12 Bungalows - 1936
Gosforth - 6 Bungalows / 3 Houses / 2 Flats - 1925
Blyth - 2 Bungalows / 2 Houses / 4 Flats - 1931
Forest Hall - 4 Bungalows - 1939
Jesmond - 14 Bungalows / 8 Houses - 1928

Because I respect the privacy of the people currently residing in those houses, I am not willing to provide the detailed addresses, but please send me a message if further interested in the subject and I will be more than happy to release some addresses privately.

That list has been gathered by working in close contact with a Railway Housing Employee and checking / taking photographs of the plagues. I am sure there are many more out there and I have only been interested in railway buildings built pre-2nd world war in the north east of England, but have stumbled upon a couple 1950s bungalows here and there.

Hope this helps whoever is looking for information on those in the future (like I did).
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

do tell, do tell.....