Do You have a list of engine numbers??

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

lifeboat1721
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Do You have a list of engine numbers??

Post by lifeboat1721 »

I am Just a chap who likes Steam engines and I wouldn't want to post picks of Engines on the board that were not LNER!!

If they are Not in LNER color how do I know if it's ok to post??

46115 and 60163 are due in Carlisle this Saturday where did they run??

regards

Ian
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Do You have a list of engine numbers??

Post by 60041 »

Welcome to the forum.
Don't worry too much about numbers, they can be confusing but a good guide would be to look at the lettering on the locomotive or tender; if it says LNER or NER, NBR etc then it is ok. If it says British Railways then the number should be 6xxxx.
If it has a G a W and an R on the side you must burn the picture immediately or we will be forced to kill you.
Only joking of course, any good picture of a steam loco is welcome on the railway chat pages, we look forward to seeing them.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

60041 wrote: " If it has a G a W and an R on the side you must burn the picture immediately or we will be forced to kill you. "
Ha ha! That really made me chuckle, and I'm not too partisan! : Comes from being more into signalling than locos & stock, and having 'cut my teeth' in two areas - both once had a G, but one then had an N, the other a W.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Jingling Geordie
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Jingling Geordie »

Gosh, Stevie G you worked for the Great Wittering Railway and the MGNR

StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Jingling Geordie wrote:Gosh, Stevie G you worked for the Great Wittering Railway and the MGNR

G, L/Cpl. 22532269
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Flamingo »

60041 wrote:Welcome to the forum.
Don't worry too much about numbers, they can be confusing but a good guide would be to look at the lettering on the locomotive or tender; if it says LNER or NER, NBR etc then it is ok. If it says British Railways then the number should be 6xxxx.
If it has a G a W and an R on the side you must burn the picture immediately or we will be forced to kill you.
Only joking of course, any good picture of a steam loco is welcome on the railway chat pages, we look forward to seeing them.
I would also just like to say welcome and make a small addition to the cautionary advice given by my esteemed colleague Salmon Trout.

Should you inadvertently take or come into possession of a picture showing any engine shaped like a spam can, with large and small holes in its wheels and a curious number in algebraic format like 21C1, make sure your camera is detoxified as soon as possible. Such locomotives are highly contagious and the best thing to do with them is to get them sectioned. You can see an example of how effective this procedure is in the NRM at York. e
Jingling Geordie
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Jingling Geordie »

Life boat 1721, you can't fool a canny Scott can you 61721? your name escapes me but I think I may have met you or one of your class up North of the Border?

On the other hand you might just be a lifeboat but I doubt it. Didn't K2s operating in the Lincoln Area get the nickname of "life-Boat" due to the constant flooding of the Fenland lines and the fact that only the railways could still operate in such conditions?

(JG you bin coke sniffing again?)

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
I only get high on Loco and Teak varnish :?: :D
manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Cock o' The North
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Cock o' The North »

Someone mentioned once and I think they got away with it, the dreaded letters, so I will give it a try too, once, and see if I can get away with it too, the dreaded letters being G W R.

Living as I have always done, firmly in enemy territory, apart from the odd incursion by things dark red with MR on them, and things black with LNWR on them, I have always been exposed to some serious propaganda and partisanism. Now may be a juncture to try to decode where some of this came from, and still does.

What is is then, with the "Westernites"? Why do they hate the LNER?

Is it friendly rivalry like seems to be apparent between other clans? It doesn't seem so to me. They spit feathers at any hint of the glorious letters LNER.

Is it something left over from the 1925 exhibition still rumbling on?

Is it that they know the LNER had better, more modern, more powerful, better looking engines but don't like to admit it?

Is it that their only foray into things Pacific was a disaster and produced something with such a short cab that for the crew, it must have been like riding on the back of a dust cart?

Is it that while they were first in standardisation, they did it in something like 1902 which meant that everything they produced after that date was just a bigger version of the City of Truro?

The latter of course eventually produced engines with such high axle weights that they were not permitted west of Cardiff or Bristol?

It's a funny old thing, but I don't seem to see the same animosity shown towards them as they show to us. I for example know they had some good techniques, optical frame alignment for one, and AWS for another. Mr. Cook also did some good work at Doncaster, he not being the partisan sort. Professionals rarely are.

Just a few thoughts anyway. Over the years I have been in the middle of some terrible arguments, always out numbered, by those who would not even look at a LNER technical article, and it would be nice to get to the bottom of it!!
lifeboat1721
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by lifeboat1721 »

Jingling Geordie wrote:Life boat 1721, you can't fool a canny Scott can you 61721? your name escapes me but I think I may have met you or one of your class up North of the Border?

On the other hand you might just be a lifeboat but I doubt it. Didn't K2s operating in the Lincoln Area get the nickname of "life-Boat" due to the constant flooding of the Fenland lines and the fact that only the railways could still operate in such conditions?

(JG you bin coke sniffing again?)

Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments, life threats don't bother me any more :mrgreen:

My "Name" Lifeboat 1721 may have you confused ??
1721 is the Hull Number on the side of the Newhaven lifeboat in Sussex, My mother came from Newhaven.

I come from Morecambe Lancs and we have an Inshore boat (ILB) and the first Hovercraft 02, and if you are thinking why isn'1 number 1.. All 01 lifeboats are classed as trial boats and are used to experiment and find faults and then they go into the relief fleet.

And sadly I've never been north of the border.

If you have a look at my flickr link at the bottom of the page you will see the kinds of things I like to shoot.

Ian
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Living and working all my life in LNER territory apart from a few postings into the land of air smoothed green engines and B1s with copper caps there hasnt been that much resentment to the superior line remember whatever the GWR protagonists say we were there first with passenger railways and also the first to top a legitimate ton on the track.
Just ignore them or let them have a little bit of pleasure from Gresley borrowing some ideas from Churchward then showing them how to build an engine with a little gallic flavour thrown in, to cook up a duck that couldnt be beaten.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
lifeboat1721
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by lifeboat1721 »

52D wrote:Living and working all my life in LNER territory apart from a few postings into the land of air smoothed green engines and B1s with copper caps there hasnt been that much resentment to the superior line remember whatever the GWR protagonists say we were there first with passenger railways and also the first to top a legitimate ton on the track.
Just ignore them or let them have a little bit of pleasure from Gresley borrowing some ideas from Churchward then showing them how to build an engine with a little gallic flavour thrown in, to cook up a duck that couldnt be beaten.
Thanks, I shall remember that!! I may even have got them confused :mrgreen:

Ian
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Lifeboat 1721, Welcome to our happy home,but you have me totally confused, did you say that you were born in 1721, your Father was Eric Morcombe,your Mother comes from Hull,and you want to be a Hovercraft when you grow up, or have I got the wrong end of the poker in my eye :lol: :wink:
manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

Nice photos Lifeboat.
I found the pics of the Midland Hotel interesting (even if it was built by the opposition), the last time I saw that it was in a terrible state and looked as if it would end up being demolished, I am glad to see it looking good again. I have a particular liking for the Art Deco style and this is one of the best examples around.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Lifeboat
Do we assume then, that after looking at your collection, you will be visiting liverpool this weekend?

I see that a big grey ship is visiting.