ECJS Restaurant Third 189

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: ECJS Restaurant Third 189

Post by sawdust »

jwealleans wrote:Based on my visit over the last Bank Holiday weekend, there's a great deal of work to do. I wouldn't be reserving a place on the diner anytime very soon.

Thoroughly looking forward to enjoying my dinner in it in the fullness of time, though.
Indeed there is much to do. Most of it is nothing out of the ordinary though. One repair to the clerestory frame has already been completed (replacing three preexisting inadequate repairs). Most of what you witnessed is just exploratory work to identify what repairs and changes are required.

It is now apparent where water was getting in through the clerestory and why it was sagging.

Sadly for the moment I've had to leave 1894 and move on to a spell of working in 1937 (the year that is! ), with a spot of furniture making. (Anyone care to guess what and what it's for? LNERCA members I've told need not answer.)

Another project that will be kicking off soon dates from 1950 and will need tons more doing to it than 189! As does another vehicle I surveyed at the GCR last week.

Sawdust.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

And as a follow up to the previous post here are a seletion of photos taken over the recent LNERCA coach week showing members making [for want of a better term] gaskest to fit on the coil springs in Thompson TK 1623s bogies [at the beginning] Sawdust and fellow LNERCA member Peter Wilson [the Membership Secretary] and John Boddy of the H&B Stock Fund who has made a remarkable recovery from a massive life threaterning heart attack earlier in the year. Interestingly I'm lead to believe that the leaf pattern on the clerestory panes of glass is on the originals anyway painted rather than engraved feature.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/3vhiyknbj537 ... BZ4YduKFva
Last edited by 2392 on Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
West_Stanley
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by West_Stanley »

Great to see some up to date photos, thanks 2392. It's nice to know that they're actually working on 189 and it's not just gathering rainwater in some siding somewhere. How did they progress with shortening of the frames, which was much discussed back in 2011? Are they now done? If so, what method did they use? Did they manage to find a pair of 'Fox Bogies?' (probably not)
sawdust

Post by sawdust »

The underframe shortening is taking place currently and should be delivered before too long (including two completely new fabricated bulb angle solebars).

We know of the location of some bogies but they would have to be bought with some additional items which are currently cost prohibitive.

Prior to moving indoors 189 was protected by heavy duty tarpaulins.

Donations as always with any project will help speed progress.

Sawdust.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

As some may have seen in Heritaghe Railways. The LNERCA have after 2 years of negotations got their hands on a pair of Fox bogies from the Colne Valley Railway. They are under a crane runner wagon, which in turn is a former Great Northern None Corridor Coach. In return the CVR are getting a pair of Gresley bogies. At the moment the 'runner and Foxs' together with the pair of Gresleys' are at Shildon being repaired/overhauled and in turn they'll be swapped, with the 'runner+Gresleys bogies returning to the CVR and the Foxs' going to the Moors. Where they will be installed under the shortened for Perth underframes which in turn will go under 189. I say "Perth" underframes as they were from a Gresley Brake that the SRPS had bought from a siding in/at Perth, for the body as a supply of spares and they in turn sold the 'frames+bogies to the LNERCA in turn for spares.
Trestrol

Post by Trestrol »

2392 wrote: I say "Perth" underframes as they were from a Gresley Brake that the SRPS had bought from a siding in/at Perth, for the body as a supply of spares and they in turn sold the 'frames+bogies to the LNERCA in turn for spares.
Sorry your wrong, LNERCA bought the whole carriage but dismantled the body at the SRPS site at Bo'ness. There were very few spares on the body as it had been heavily modified.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

TRESTROL wrote:
2392 wrote: I say "Perth" underframes as they were from a Gresley Brake that the SRPS had bought from a siding in/at Perth, for the body as a supply of spares and they in turn sold the 'frames+bogies to the LNERCA in turn for spares.
Sorry your wrong, LNERCA bought the whole carriage but dismantled the body at the SRPS site at Bo'ness. There were very few spares on the body as it had been heavily modified.
OK I got it wrong. I'd honestly from memory thought that the SRPS had bought it. Though thinking on as you say they offered a temp. site for the coach whilst the remains of the body were removed and salvaged what the could. Before no doubt using the remains as fire wood to light the engines with!
Trestrol

Post by Trestrol »

Suprised Diamondgaz has not posted this yet on here. EJCS RTO 189 is finally on its new underframe. This was completed last week and now paves the way for internal and external fitout.

https://youtu.be/pnSpQ6sFFC8
Wavey
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Wavey »

Latest LNERCA news mostly covering 189.

http://www.lnerca.org/home/news-and-updates/