Tadcaster Branch

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LC&PJRlad1986
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Tadcaster Branch

Post by LC&PJRlad1986 »

I'm on a bit of a roll today but does anyone know anything about the Tadcaster branchline which ran from Wetherby through to Church Fenton? I'm especially interested about Tadcaster station itself and would love to see any photographs that anyone might have. All information appreciated :D !
50C
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Tadcaster Branch

Post by 50C »

In the early 50's a gang of us used to cycle from Selby to Church Fenton trainspotting
mainly to see Bristol jubilees and the double headed Red Bank stock train taking the highly canted curve to Leeds at high speed.
The only traffic at that time which came off the Wetherby branch was a steady flow of Newport(51B) WD's(later Thornaby) on coal trains from the North East down to Gascoigne Wood yard for onward shipment.The locos returned with rakes of empties.
On a couple of occasions I did see a Selby J25 shunting in the station yard before heading off in the Wetherby direction with the local pick-up goods.

50C
warwick
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by warwick »

The line from Church Fenton to Harrogate opened in 1848. Tadcaster had quite an impressive station - if you Google it there is a grainy photo of it in the 1950's showing the overall roof. The line from Wetherby to Crossgates and Leeds opened in 1876. Most trains ran from Church Fenton through Tadcaster to Wetherby and Leeds, or Harrogate-Wetherby-Leeds and few took the direct line, although there were 2 Selby-Harrogate workings between the wars. A 1932 Bradshaw shows Tadcaster had 7 trains each way, with an extra one to Leeds on Saturday. I would guess this continued until WW2. Some trains used Sentinel railcars, I think, which were known as "steam-pigs". Freight was always busy until the EC Main Line was quadrupled. Double heading was needed southbvound out of Harrogate. Traffic increased when the Royal Ordnance Factory, which had its own circular railway, opened in 1941. There were many workmen's trains from as far as Hull, South Yorkshire, which went through Tadcaster, without stopping, as far as I know. These continued until the factory closed in the late 50's. Motive power was varied - South Yorkshire workings had LMS loco's such as 42141 - a 4MT tank, but LNER metals saw a mixed bag - B16's, D20's J39's etc. Long distance freights were often hauled by a WD 2-8-0 or B16, sometimes double-headed by a J39, in the 1950's.

After the war, the passenger service began to run down. When I used the line for school from 1953-60, there were 2 workings each way daily (see also my entries of yesterday and today under "Crossgates-Wetherby line"). To Leeds there was one morning train about 8am and an afternoon working for schoolchildren attending Tadcaster Grammar School, left for Bardsey at 3.50pm. Although not in the timetable, other passengers used it occasionally in term time. Technically they could connect to a Leeds train at Bardsey or Wetherby if they were prepared to wait! The other direction, there was a morning train from Leeds arriving about 8.20am and another at 5pm. These did not proceed any further, although the morning train the other way came from Church Fenton. Diesels were used from about 1958, but service did not increase. With little support, this service was the first to be axed by Dr. Beeching. The local freight service, which was still reasonable at Wetherby and Tadcaster, lingered for 2 more years. Train drivers had to open crossing gates themselves - not very efficient!

There was a short branch line from the north of Tadcaster station, heading off east over a viaduct crossing the R. Wharfe, which is still there. This was a George Hudson project, which went under when he did. It was intended to run to York and the earthworks were completed to just east of Wighill Road. A line was laid on the first half mile or so, leading into Page's corn mill in Tadcaster East. The last train to use it was in 1955, I believe. It had mileage posts, as if there was hope that one day it might lead somewhere!
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

There was a photograph of this station on Flea Bay a couple of weeks ago, bit naughty but I did lift the pic off.
Attachments
TADCASTER.jpg
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

LC&PJRlad1986
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by LC&PJRlad1986 »

Thanks very much for that 50C, Warwick and Redtoon - all new and interesting information for me to digest! I did know that it had an overall roof but the station in the photograph from flea bay looks much more impressive than I expected! Was the roof and station well maintained or finish it's life in a state of disrepair? Are there any books in particular that are good sources of information and/or additional photographs? I'm tempted to get one or all of the Bairstow books of railways around Harrogate.
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

There is a video that shows the last train to Tadcaster. It includes a brake van ride from Church Fenton to Tadcaster, and then shunting at Tadcaster. the video is Steam in the West Riding vol 3 (IIRC).

There are some photos of Tadcaster station in the Tadcaster Civic Society's photo album booklet - harder to get hold of but maybe available in a local library.

The operational highlight of the week must have been the southbound Queen of Scots Pullman which ran through Tadcaster on the southbound journey only on Sundays.

Andy
Tadcaster resident 1972(just after the station had been raised to the ground) to 1989.
LC&PJRlad1986
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by LC&PJRlad1986 »

50A wrote:There is a video that shows the last train to Tadcaster. It includes a brake van ride from Church Fenton to Tadcaster, and then shunting at Tadcaster. the video is Steam in the West Riding vol 3 (IIRC).

There are some photos of Tadcaster station in the Tadcaster Civic Society's photo album booklet - harder to get hold of but maybe available in a local library.

The operational highlight of the week must have been the southbound Queen of Scots Pullman which ran through Tadcaster on the southbound journey only on Sundays.

Andy
Tadcaster resident 1972(just after the station had been raised to the ground) to 1989.
That's a brilliant bit of info for me Andy. Cheers! I'll definitely try to track that video down. It's pretty hard for me to get to local libraries as I'm based in Australia at the moment, but I'll make sure that next time I get back I make the trip to "Taddy". I might even sneak in a pint or two while I'm there :D !
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

It needs to be volume 3 for the Tadcaster branch - see

http://www.cinerail.com/archive-series-volume-10.html
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

LC&PJRlad1986 wrote:I'm on a bit of a roll today but does anyone know anything about the Tadcaster branchline which ran from Wetherby through to Church Fenton? I'm especially interested about Tadcaster station itself and would love to see any photographs that anyone might have. All information appreciated :D !
Ask and ye shall receive.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
50C
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 50C »

Am I right in assuming the large building behind the foot bridge is either Samual Smiths or John Smiths brewery ?
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Malcolm »

That's right. I just can't remember which brewery it was.

Malcolm
The world is seldom what we wish it to be, but wishes don't change it.
Deltic18
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Deltic18 »

It might be neither as there was a 3rd brewery in Tadcaster. The Tadcaster Tower Brewery came into being in 1883 and they were situated on an acre of land bought from the NER which was in a position close to "an extensive railway sidings".

Keith
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

Spot on Keith - Tower brewery. Still there.

Andy