Hemyock Branch (WR) Stock W87245E W87270E

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Post Reply
RhubarbLoop
NER Y7 0-4-0T
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:23 pm
Location: Totnes, UK
Contact:

Hemyock Branch (WR) Stock W87245E W87270E

Post by RhubarbLoop »

Hello,

From 1962 the Hemyock branch in Devon was allocated to ex LNER Brake Seconds W87245E and W87270E. I'm not an LNER expert so I was wondering if someone could tell me what diagram these were?

Many thanks!

Alex
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2
Posts: 1241
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:43 pm

Re: Hemyock Branch (WR) Stock W87245E W87270E

Post by Bill Bedford »

Stumpytrain wrote:From 1962 the Hemyock branch in Devon was allocated to ex LNER Brake Seconds W87245E and W87270E. I'm not an LNER expert so I was wondering if someone could tell me what diagram these were?
Diagram 340
RhubarbLoop
NER Y7 0-4-0T
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:23 pm
Location: Totnes, UK
Contact:

Re: Hemyock Branch (WR) Stock W87245E W87270E

Post by RhubarbLoop »

Bill Bedford wrote:Diagram 340
Perfect, thank you! :D

Alex
User avatar
Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'
Posts: 565
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:23 pm
Location: Hampshire

Re: Hemyock Branch (WR) Stock W87245E W87270E

Post by Flamingo »

Both coaches are in this picture of the LCGB railtour at Hemyock on 24/2/1963.
1450HemyockLCGBrt240263.jpg
User avatar
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'
Posts: 3454
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 12:56 am
Location: Booborowie. S. Aust

Re: Hemyock Branch (WR) Stock W87245E W87270E

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Was the GW so short of coaches that they had to send a couple of Ex LNER coaches down there to help out :?: :?:
manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2
Posts: 1241
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:43 pm

Re: Hemyock Branch (WR) Stock W87245E W87270E

Post by Bill Bedford »

manna wrote:G'Day Gents
Was the GW so short of coaches that they had to send a couple of Ex LNER coaches down there to help out :?: :?:
It was the shortness of the coaches that they needed.
The LNER (or CLC) did a similar swop in the late 30s when the LMS needed short coaches for one of their branches in S. Wales.
User avatar
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'
Posts: 3454
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 12:56 am
Location: Booborowie. S. Aust

Re: Hemyock Branch (WR) Stock W87245E W87270E

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Thank you Bill, There was a shortage of shortness, on a railway that was'nt short of anything except shortness,Oh my aching head :?
manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
RhubarbLoop
NER Y7 0-4-0T
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:23 pm
Location: Totnes, UK
Contact:

Re: Hemyock Branch (WR) Stock W87245E W87270E

Post by RhubarbLoop »

Flamingo wrote:Both coaches are in this picture of the LCGB railtour at Hemyock on...
Thank you for sharing such an amazing photograph! :)

Do you have any others of the Culm Valley line or Tiverton Junction perhaps?

Cheers,
Alex
User avatar
Flamingo
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'
Posts: 565
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:23 pm
Location: Hampshire

Re: Hemyock Branch (WR) Stock W87245E W87270E

Post by Flamingo »

Stumpytrain wrote:
Flamingo wrote:Both coaches are in this picture of the LCGB railtour at Hemyock on...
Thank you for sharing such an amazing photograph! :)

Do you have any others of the Culm Valley line or Tiverton Junction perhaps?

Cheers,
Alex
That railtour was the only time I ever went to Hemyock. Attached is a picture of the same train at Tiv. Jct. I also photographed the main tour train which was hauled by 60022 Mallard from Waterloo to Exeter via the SR route and then on to Tiverton Jct. by 2 GWR 2-6-2Ts. 60022 then hauled us back from Tiverton Jct. to London Paddington via the GW.
Attachments
LCGB railtour 24/2/1963, 1450 with mixed train for visit to Hemyock branch seen here at Tiverton Junction.
LCGB railtour 24/2/1963, 1450 with mixed train for visit to Hemyock branch seen here at Tiverton Junction.
User avatar
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'
Posts: 3454
Joined: Sun May 24, 2009 12:56 am
Location: Booborowie. S. Aust

Re: Hemyock Branch (WR) Stock W87245E W87270E

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Nice pic 'Flamingo' but did you notice the amount of point rodding in the six foot, they make good walkways until the signalman pulls a lever, it fills it? Today, one half inch multi core cable!! Stations gone ? been replaced by the 'Parkway' ------------- Pity, they won't be happy until the world looks like a multi story car park :shock:
manna
PS I'm surprised that, these coaches, have'nt been modelled, seeing that there on the GW :P
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2
Posts: 1241
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:43 pm

Re: Hemyock Branch (WR) Stock W87245E W87270E

Post by Bill Bedford »

manna wrote:PS I'm surprised that, these coaches, have'nt been modelled, seeing that there on the GW :P
They were modified, they were given gas (propane) lights
User avatar
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'
Posts: 2205
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:08 pm
Location: Near the GN main line in N.Herts.

Re: Hemyock Branch (WR) Stock W87245E W87270E

Post by StevieG »

manna wrote:G'Day Gents
Nice pic 'Flamingo' but did you notice the amount of point rodding in the six foot, they make good walkways until the signalman pulls a lever, it fills it? Today, one half inch multi core cable!! Stations gone ? been replaced by the 'Parkway' ------------- Pity, they won't be happy until the world looks like a multi story car park :shock:
manna
PS I'm surprised that, these coaches, have'nt been modelled, seeing that there on the GW :P
Manna; - Point rodding - just what I thought, before reading your comment on that : Must be at least ten there; probably included several facing point locks I expect.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Post Reply