LNER Coaches

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

LNER Coaches

Post by karlrestall »

Can any one tell me the sizes of the LNER Gresley coaches. I know that they were 61' 6" and I think that they were 9' 3" but I am not 100% sure on this size. Also how high was the coach I again think that they were about 8'.

Regards

Karl Restall
Last edited by karlrestall on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: LNER Coaches

Post by sawdust »

karlrestall wrote:Can any one tell me the sizes of the LNER Gresley coaches. I know that they were 61' 6" and I think that they were 9' 3" but I am not 100% sure on this size. Also how high was the coach I again think that they were about 8'.

Regards

Karl Restall

http://www.trainformations.co.uk
Looking at the drawings for a TTO the height from the rail to top of torpedo vent is 12'-10" (8'-6 1/4" over body). 61'-6" does not include the pullman gangways or buffers. Width is generally 9'-3" over door handles and 9'-0" over mouldings.

Some coaches, notably sleepers and restaurant cars had recessed doors and were 9'-3" over mouldings.

Hope this helps
sawdust