Hatfield No.3 s/box

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey

Re: Hatfield No.3 s/box

Post by Mickey »

StevieG wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 12:42 pm I'm guessing that the two signals you saw side by side in the photo Mickey, were actually the Down Fast and Luton single Line Down Starters, which were parallel with each other [and although it was possible to stop on the Down Fast, clear of all points, in order to shunt back over to the Up side, that DF signal (No.25 I think) being where it was, didn't leave much room in which to stand at the Starter prior to shunting.]

But all diagrams that I've seen, including from before the bridge-fall, show the Down Slow Starter (52 IIRC) some 200-300-ish yards further north, which gave a good distance in which to stand on that line when wanting to shunt back across to the Up side, and AFAIR, both those DF and DS Starters were retained when No.3 Box was abolished, and so became worked by No.2 Box.
Ok Stevie I see what you mean with regards those two stop signals standing nearly side by side. Yes that Down slow line starting signal either when it was worked originally by Hatfield No.3 (or after Hatfield No.3 closed in late 1969 it was then worked by Hatfield No.2) and as was the normal way of signalling on the GN a train would depart the Down slow line platform at the north end of Hatfield station and when it was either passing Hatfield No.3 situated on the Down side running lines or later No.2 situated on the Up side of the running lines the Down slow line starting signal arm would be seen coming off in the far distance as the train approached it.

Mickey