Welwyn Garden City s/box 1972/73.

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Welwyn Garden City s/box 1972/73.

Post by StevieG »

I can imagine him not being happy about being challenged by the S&T on how he operated !
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by Mickey »

The interior of Welwyn Garden City box as it was around the summer of 1973 a couple or months before the NX panel was commissioned in September of that year and multi-aspect colour light signalling replaced the mainly semaphore signals through Welwyn Garden City and featuring the back view of Alan 'peddler' Palmer who had started on the LNER around the Peterborough area in the mid-1930s with his first box as a young signalman being at Lolham level crossing box I recall him telling me. Immediately in front of Alan (partly visible) is a scruffy long-haired 16 year old telegraph lad who happens to be ME!. Notice a number of levers had already been removed from the lever frame just prior to the picture being taken in readiness for the commissioning of the NX panel in September. The track diagram seen in the picture was only a temporary diagram which only lasted for around four months which was in use between late May 1973 when Hatfield No.1 box was closed and a NX panel was commissioned in Hatfield No.2 box until the NX panel was commissioned in Welwyn Garden City box in September. That temporary track diagram had replaced a glass fronted track diagram in a wooden surround case that was in use for a number of years prior to when I first started at the box as a telegraph lad in July 1972.

"All the lever handles look remarkably shinny!!."

https://www.ourwelwyngardencity.org.uk/ ... C-SB-1.jpg
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Thanks Mickey. Think I have seen that photo, though I can't recall where, even despite that it wasn't long ago that I saw it.

In that case you might appreciate the diagram showing WGC at its greatest extent, that's (hopefully) at the other end of this link : -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pwayowen/ ... 5Mp-qe3tgz

The W/S//T figures at the bottom of the left-hand end only refer to the main frame : There was a separate diagram over the 19-lever Luton frame (first two levers for those barriers were not numbered; the rest were L1-L17) : I don't know whether the quoted W/S//T figures on there showed the total as 17 or 19, but physically, there were 104 levers + the two motor points' crank handle interlock housings.
The main frame's Spares, 1 - 6, had been the Distant, Home, and Starter each way on the Luton Line prior to installation of the two-way loop and the Luton frame.

It's quite probable that the box was extended twice; once at each end, as the original frame was 65 before being made 85; then again but at the south end for the addition of the Luton frame.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

StevieG wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:55 am It's quite probable that the box was extended twice; once at each end, as the original frame was 65 before being made 85; then again but at the south end for the addition of the Luton frame.
You would know the history of the box better than myself Stevie although I knew the box was opened by the LNER in 1926 and I knew that the box had been extended at some date in it's past especially because during wet weather it showed up the different brickwork on the outside of the box and in the photographs of the 1935 accident (occurring right outside the box) the box looks a lot smaller in length than what it looked like in the 1960s and 1970s. Another thing about the box that I subsequently liked in other boxes was the lever frame being 'in the rear of the box' and not facing the outside running lines like most boxes did so allowing the signalman a uninterrupted view of the track layout outside the box I always liked that after Welwyn Garden City.

Two previously posted photographs of the box in 1974 after the NX panel had replaced the lever frame several months earlier in September 1973. Note the difference in the colour of the brickwork indicating where the box had been extended at some stage.

https://photos.signalling.org/picture?1 ... /1894-1974

https://photos.signalling.org/picture?/ ... /1894-1974
Original start date of 2010 on the LNER forum and previously posted 4500+ posts.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Thanks v.m. Mickey. Two excellent photos you've found there.
They make me doubt that the north end was ever extended; there do appear to be some narrow differences in brickwork, but they are rather subtle - not enough to make it certain.
The box could have been built with room for a frame larger than 65; or alternatively the LNER might've done what they did for several of the much older boxes : Squeeze in a larger frame later that almost reached the ends of the floor.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I always thought to myself Stevie that the 'door end' over looking the Down platform had been extended sometime after the 1935 accident with the tell-tale different coloured brickwork which as you would know was the part of the box where the 'Luton frame' was located and as I previously posted the change in the colour of the brickwork was more noticeable during rainy weather or while the brickwork was still wet or damp.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

StevieG wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:55 am " .... The main frame's Spares, 1 - 6, had been the Distant, Home, and Starter each way on the Luton Line prior to installation of the two-way loop and the Luton frame. .... "

I have found that I have to correct myself for the sake of a correct record Mickey.

The above was from memory of seeing a diagram of the box's layout as it originally was, but I was mistaken.
1-6 were in use then, but there was only a Distant, and Home (in the position of being a platform starter), each way, which were 3-6.
1 & 2 had been the ML barrow crossing lifting barriers.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Ok Stevie that was before the Luton frame was installed.

Regarding the Luton frame in particular as you would know Stevie when I first went to the box in July 1972 the only levers in the Luton frame that were still in use was the two brown painted barrow crossing levers with one lever for the Down side barrier and the other lever for the Up side barrier the rest were all painted white as spares.

Actually thinking about it again towards the last month or two before the NX panel was installed in the box around July/August of 1973 those spare levers in the Luton frame were all removed except the two brown barrow crossing levers in the frame which were left for a short time longer. The new NX panel was positioned opposite where the Luton frame stood and stretching for a short distance along opposite the main lever frame and I think it may have even been 'bubble wrapped' when it was brought into the box although that was done at the weekend and I wasn't on duty at weekends on the book.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Training-
Regarding any prior training on the WGC NX panel before the commissioning of the panel?. None was given to the resident signalmen to my knowledge that I can recall other than a Ops Manager telling one of the resident signalmen to "Have a play on it" on a box visit one day. The NX panel sat in the box from vague memory for around 4-5 weeks prior to the commissioning weekend. The WGC NX panel was quite long I suppose and prior to the Hatfield No.2 NX panel being decommissioned around April 1974 on the right-hand end on the panel trains were picked up on both the Down fast & Down slow lines just beyond Hatfield station for a temporary period or around 6-7 months and on the Up line at Woolmer Green for a temporary period of 3 weeks before stage two of the re-signalling work was completed. When the NX panel was fully commissioned with Hatfield No.2 NX panel being decommissioned around April 1974 along with both Woolmer Green & Knebworth boxes closing in October 1973 the extreme left-hand end of the panel trains were picked up on the Up fast & Up slow lines on the approach to Knebworth while on the extreme right-hand end of the panel trains were picked up on the Down fast & Down slow lines around the Welham Green/Marshmoor area. All trains were signalled by x4 single stroke block bells in the NX panel with the buttons in a row towards the bottom of the panel with no train describers being provided.

Stage one of the Commissioning-
The WGC NX panel was commissioned over a weekend in late September 1973 with Welwyn North box closing for the last time around 22:00hrs on the Friday evening prior to the following days commissioning. The Commissioning work commenced at around 14:00hrs on the Saturday afternoon when the S&T commissioning staff commenced there work of decommissioning the old equipment and commissioning the new equipment where semaphore signal arms were removed from signal posts and the old lever frame, block shelf along with block instruments and track diagram were all removed from the box and the box floor was boarded over while out on the track the new colour light signals were unhooded and illuminated and were tested while the NX panel was 'powered up' and was illuminated with the old & new relay rooms being occupied by the S&T decommissioning & commissioning staff along with a couple of S&T commissioning staff working on the NX panel in the box and talking to the relay room staff doing testing of routes and signals. I don't know the exact time the NX panel was finally 'signed in' but come the Monday morning the new colour light signalling had been commissioned and the trains were running on colour light signalling through WGC.

Stage two of the commissioning-
Stage two of the re-signalling work happened 3 weeks later in late October 1973 when both Woolmer Green & Knebworth boxes were both closed at the same time and the WGC NX panel 'linked up' with Langley Junction box south of Stevenage.
Dave Cockle
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Dave Cockle »

Micky,

A lot of interesting detail in your report about the commissioning of the Welwyn GC NX Panel.

Concerning training I can report on the arrangements at Hertford North. A week before the commissioning date The District Inspector (Tim Hatton) came to Hertford midday and the gave a training session to both early and late turn signalmen. The late turn signalman was booked on at 12:00hrs. The panel was wired up in the adjoining relay room and we both had the opportunity to go through the various moves that could be made. The Hertford panel was commisioned on 18th July 1971. The date was earlier than originally than planned as the condition of the interlocking of the old lever frame was giving cause for concern. Initially absolute bock working applied both ways but on 3rd Sept 1972 the panel's area was extended and TCB working applied between Langley Jn./Hertford and Gordon Hill.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Hiya Dave,

With regards to any prior training given to the three resident signalmen at WGC on the new NX panel back in 1973 maybe the three resident signalmen at 'Garden City' were shown 'how it worked' by a Signalling/Ops Manager when I wasn't in the box during the weekends but I don't recall any talk about any training as such happening although training on the panel wouldn't concern me being only the 'box lad' and as I said I recall a Ops Manager telling one of the resident signalmen to "Have a play on it" one day. The relief signalmen who worked the box I recall did have some training on the actually WGC panel with the resident signalman being present because I especially recall the late Roy Revell training on the panel for several shifts before passing out the panel.

To be honest that WGC NX panel wasn't that difficult to work although it could became an issue if something happened like at any box?.

A lot was going on at WGC during 1973 with the construction of the 'Welwyn flyover' to the south of the station and the construction of the new Down EMU sidings north of the station plus the re-signalling and on going electrification work which was in it's early stages during 1973.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

At the time of the WGC NX panel commissioning the S&T department installed a new x5 lever GF (Ground Frame) diagonally opposite the box beside the Hertford spur that was 'released by the signalman' that gave access to & from the Hertford spur into & from the Up yard sidings (and maybe from the Hertford spur to the Up 'Back platform' but I am not certain about that?) which at the time I thought was a bit OTT BUT subsequently I suppose it gave 'local control' to the WGC shunter who operated the ground frame especially after the box closed in September 1976. Anyway I assume that ground frame was abandoned from about 1982 onwards after the last bit of freight traffic on the Hertford spur to and from Norton's sidings finished after which I presume that ground frame was removed anyway a few years ago on a trip to WGC I noticed (from the Hunters road bridge and looking down on the railway) that the Hertford spur had been subsequently lifted and removed completely leaving no trace of that ground frame at all.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

On the Saturday afternoon of the commissioning work of the WGC NX panel B.R. intended running a local passenger service during the signalling changeover work which I doubt would happen these days?. I wasn't in the box while the changeover work was happening that Saturday afternoon and evening but I knew from the pre-commissioning special notices that were published before the commissioning work commenced that weekend that they intended to run a 'special passenger service' down from Hatfield to WGC station while the signalling changeover work was in progress and then the passenger trains (x2 car Craven units) would eventually return back up to Hatfield and ultimately Kings Cross. I can't remember the exact arrangements 47 years on but once the commissioning work commenced drivers were issued with special instructions on paper before departing Hatfield station about what signals to disregard and where handsignalmen were positioned between Hatfield & WGC?. I can't honestly remember if single line working (SLW) was introduced over the Down slow line from Hatfield to & from WGC station or if trains arriving at WGC station on the Down slow line and terminating in the Down slow line platform were then crossed back over to the Up slow line? (The 'Welwyn flyover' hadn't been properly finished in September 1973). I suspect it may have been SLW over the Down slow line to & from Hatfield?. I believe from memory this 'special passenger service' lasted into the Saturday evening but it wasn't planned to be re-introduced on the Sunday though.
ajax103
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by ajax103 »

Some interesting photos there, I'm aware more or less where Hertford North signalbox was - just beside the entrance to the Up Carriage Sidings?

But with today's layout, where was the Welwyn GC signalbox if it was there today?
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

ajax103 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:02 pm Some interesting photos there, I'm aware more or less where Hertford North signalbox was - just beside the entrance to the Up Carriage Sidings?

But with today's layout, where was the Welwyn GC signalbox if it was there today?
If WGC box was still there today it was located at the north end of the Down platforms between the Down slow line on the east side of the box and on the west side of the box the old Luton branch line which today is the line that leads to & from the Down side EMU sidings. Today the brick wall of the Howard shopping centre backs up against the railway running along the entire length of platform no.4 (formerly platform no.1 the Luton line platform).

I have a suspicion that WGC, Hertford North & Langley Junction (south of Stevenage new station) were all built by a local contractor as all three boxes looked similar to each other?.