East Yorkshire steam video

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

Hi everyone,

I have just found this video on East Yorkshire Steam and wondered if anyone on here has come across it or seen it and would you recommend it?

Try this link:

http://www.transportdiversions.com/publ ... pubid=3503

Cheers
John B
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

Hi John.

Excellent video - highly recommended. Very good quality of original film.

Andy
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply. That's great news and the video is now added to my pile "For further action" (probably next Christmas) :)

It would also be nice :roll: (This is my dream steam list coming up now :idea: ) to have a video/DVD of some steam action around Hull. Eg. Hull to Brid. or Hull to South Cave (Ex H & BR), or Hull to Hornsea, Hull to Withernsea, or Hull to Market Weighton, or even Market Weighton to Driffield, Market Weighton to Stamford Bridge, also the beautiful old Driffield to Malton line.

Any suggestions as to possible sources of film action for any of these would be particularly welcome?

Cheers
John B
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

I think Marsden Rail have an archive DVD/Video of Hull. Will ask my brother which number Video it is.
50A
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 50A »

Hi all.
Marsden Rail have videos/dvds based on Market Weighton (No 16?) and Hull (No 12?). Market Weighton I have seen and is upto Marsden Rails usual standard, the Hull one I have not seen - although I have heard a negative report.

Sorry to be vague on the numbers - trying to do this by memory.

Andy
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Speaking of Marsden Rail, in case anyone was wondering - there is no connection between them and myself! We simply share the same surname :-)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

I seem to remember the Hull Marsden video having a lot about Hull Busses and the New Holland to Hull Steam Ferries. Less about railways than his other videos. The Ferries as a matter of interest where owned by the LNER and later BR only going out of service when the Humber Bridge was built. One still exists in Grimsby (Lincoln Castle) as a pub/restaraunt and is currently partly out of water having its hull cleaned. How about an LNER ships section?
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

Hi everyone,

Yes I have seen some excerpts from the Marsden videos on the BBC web collection, especially the one about locomotives going to Drapers Yard but also workings in Market Weighton. I had no idea full length versions were available.

61650GTFC, I remember going on an all day trip from junior school on the Lincoln Castle all the way from Hull to Grimsby and return and being absolutely fascinated watching the huge piston and connecting rods whizzing round in the bowels of the ship and powering the side paddles.

Even then I loved anything powered by steam. Later in life and as the Humber Bridge was being built I purchased my BR return ticket to take a nostalgic ferry ride and being able to enjoy a beer outside the usual licensing hours just as soon as the ferry left the pier in Hull.

Ah me! how times change :cry:
John B
Suddaby
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Suddaby »

The only problem with this video is that it doesn't actually feature anything in East Yorkshire! However Frank Dean's footage ism usually excellent - I have seen some of his cine shows.
Do not despair however as besides the Hull and Mkt Weighton videos mentioned, coming shortly is Marsden Rail No 31 - Yorkshire Byways, which will feature Withernsea, Hornsea, DVLR and others - I will be looking out for myself at Hornsea!!!

Regards

Kevin
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

Kevin,

That's great news about the up and coming Marsden rail video, if it really does include those local Withernsea/Hornsea lines then I shall have to buy a copy, it would be an absolute gem.
John B
talltim
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by talltim »

Although its not really what you are looking for this is an interesting film, both for railway interest and in its own right. I remember seeing it years ago on channel 4 and it stuck in my mind ever since. This thread prompted me to search the net and amazingly I found it for download straight away
http://www.channel4.com/film/reviews/film.jsp?id=111178

Tim
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

:-)

For those who don't know, one of the BTF's originals, "Let's Go To Birmingham" (in a Blue Pullman at 960mph) has been made available by the
British Film Institute using a Creative Commons license (=free download):

http://creative.bfi.org.uk/titles/

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Suddaby
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Suddaby »

Hi

On a similar theme to Richard's post, on Marsden Rail 12 - Hull, there is a trip from Withernsea to Hull in about 1957-8(IIRC) ish - it's also in B/W. It is taken from the front of one of the then new DMU's. It lasts about 3-4 mins, and you need to concentrate as the countryside passes by fairly quick(!) - but it is a good record of the route - you can play it slowly, but it tends to go frame by frame.

Regards

Kevin