High Dyke Branch

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

rob237
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: High Dyke Branch

Post by rob237 »

Immediately north of Stoke Tunnel on the ECML...High Dyke Jct...101 miles from KX.
Cheers
Robt P.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 61070 »

Bryan,

High Dyke (sidings), where the the junction for the branch was, were just north of Stoke Tunnel, approx 101 route miles from King's Cross (according to the book British Rail Main Line Gradient Profiles - hardly a precise work of reference I know, but the most accessible source I have). I see rob237's got there first while I was 'composing'.

See http://daveseastmidlandsandlincsrailway ... 05371.html taken from above the tunnel looking north, branch coming in on the left (you get an idea of the curvature and gradient - ECML is ascending here too at 1 in 200), sidings in the centre and 'box on the curve.

Attached is a crude sketch of the arrangement of 'the angle' at Grantham, which lay to the south west of the shed layout. North is top left. There is a more detailed track diagram covering the passenger station and shed in Steam World (and I mean World this time!) for Dec 2003 (issue 198), accompanying an article by John Hall. I resisted the temptation to scan it for fear of the copyright police.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
Grantham triangle.jpg
60129 GUY MANNERING
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by 60129 GUY MANNERING »

Bryan,
Question 1. The High Dyke branch actually left the East Coast Main Line about 400 yards North of Stoke Tunnel or put another way some 5 miles south of Grantham. It was to the West of the main line and ran down to Colsterworth and Stainby. The place is actually where the B6403 Road crosses under the E.C.M.L. today.

Question 2. The Angle at Grantham came from the North of the station down the West Side of a peice of land and over a Diamond Crossing to a point (1) and then onto a spur where the Locomotive would stop.It then reversed back over the point (1) which the Fireman had thrown,there by missing the Diamond and coming along the South Side of the Angle through another point (2) to another spur. Again the Fireman would switch the point to allow the engine to go back through the other leg of the point (2) and across the opposite part of the Diamond Crossing and back in a Northerly direction up the East side of this plot of land to where it started,but now facing in the opposite direction.

I hope that you are able to follow this ,but if not I would be more than happy to e-mail you a sketch.
Regards,Derek.
rob237
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by rob237 »

60129 GUY MANNERING wrote: I would be more than happy to e-mail you a sketch.
Which 61070 has already provided, immediately above!
Cheers
Robt P.
rob237
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by rob237 »

61070 wrote:There is a more detailed track diagram covering the passenger station and shed in Steam World (and I mean World this time!) for Dec 2003 (issue 198)
And a more inaccurate diagram, you'd be pushed to find!
Especially in respect of the station's northern end...
Cheers
Robt P.
60129 GUY MANNERING
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by 60129 GUY MANNERING »

Rob,
did not realise the topic had moved onto a second page,it was very late and I had just got in (not from the pub--I am a T/Totaller) I apologise to all.
Regards,Derek.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 61070 »

rob237 wrote:And a more inaccurate diagram, you'd be pushed to find!
Especially in respect of the station's northern end...
Thanks for the warning - goes to show how careful you have to be with unreferenced published sources.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

60129 GUY MANNERING wrote: " Bryan,
Question 1. The High Dyke branch actually left the East Coast Main Line about 400 yards North of Stoke Tunnel or put another way some 5 miles south of Grantham. It was to the West of the main line and ran down to Colsterworth and Stainby. The place is actually where the B6403 Road crosses under the E.C.M.L. today. " ....
Rob,
In case of any further slight help, I don't have any relevant historical info. to hand, but having looked at a modern day internal source, I would estimate that High Dyke box and 'junction' was about 500 yards north of Stoke Tunnel, or put another way, at approx. 101 Miles 23 Chains, and was also the place where the additional Up line of the three running tracks south of Grantham South, ended (I suspect, as in so many similar GN locations, that here the line would have been an Up Goods, at least from Great Ponton anyway).

There is still a "High Dyke" in the current Sectional Appendix, where the Up Slow now ends, but at "101 46", I suspect it is some little way further north than the 'proper' High Dyke.
Last edited by StevieG on Thu May 06, 2010 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

I assume then that the branch was post grouping.
As I am looking at the Ian Allen Pre grouping atlas and there is nothing shown from Stoke tunnel to Grantham.

I note that the Scissors is actually a compressed triangle.

Thanks for the replies and the sketch.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

StevieG wrote:Rob,
In case of any further slight help, I don't have any relevant historical info. to hand, but having looked at a modern day internal source, I would estimate that High Dyke box and 'junction' was about 500 yards north of Stoke Tunnel, or put another way, at approx. 101 Miles 23 Chains, and was also the place where the additional Up line of the three running tracks south of Grantham South, ended (I suspect, as in so many similar GN locations, that here the line would have been an Up Goods, at least from Great Ponton anyway).

There is still a "High Dyke" in the current Sectional Appendix, where the Up Slow now ends, but at "101 46", I suspect it is some little way further north than the 'proper' High Dyke.
Further to my previous post, pictured is the spot that I mentioned, as viewed south along the Up Main, circa. six years ago. (Sorry about image quality; and please ignore the vertical blue line : Result of using two images, overlapping).

How sites such as this can change over 20, 30, etc. years, as nature reclaims abandoned areas.
Attachments
High Dyke circa 2004 from UM (Crop'd & comprssd) (P1090777.JPG
Last edited by StevieG on Fri May 07, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 61070 »

Yes, an interesting comparison. Must be the bridge where the B6403 passes underneath. On my very occasional journeys past this site, and if I'm on the same side, I try to look out for it - but it's so indistinct that often the first thing I know is that we're in the tunnel approach cutting and I've missed it.
AndyRush
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by AndyRush »

According to GNR documents, the mean mileage of the connections at Highdyke was 101m 30¾ch, the box being on the down side at 101m 25ch and Highdyke (or Ermine Street) No.231 underline bridge at 101m 21¾ch. The Junction (opened 25.07.1915) is referred to as 'Waltham Branch Junction' in the original amendment to the GNR Mileage Survey, as 'Stainby Branch Junction' in an early LNER document, but had become 'Highdyke Junction' by the 1947 Appendix. I have the box as opening in 1881, signalling the up lines only, extended for a 40 lever frame when the branch opened, and closing 30.10.1977.

HTH

Andy
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 61070 »

Thanks Andy - that's impressively detailed information which is very useful for my notes.
AndyRush
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by AndyRush »

There's plenty more where thsat came from !

Andy
DaveF
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by DaveF »

Hi All,

I've just joined this forum, having come across this topic while checking my fotopic stats for the week!

I have a number of collections of High Dyke branch photos in my gallery at:
http://daveseastmidlandsandlincsrailway ... topic.net/

2 sample images below:
Capture1.JPG
Class 31 at Skillington Junction in 1970
4472 Flying Scotsman at Skillington junction Oct 73
4472 Flying Scotsman at Skillington junction Oct 73
4472 Flying Scotsman at Skilington junction Oct 73

I lived in Buckminster, a short distance from the line in the early 70's and my late father was the manager of the ex BSC lines in the area for a while after BSC sold the route to the Buckminster Estate, when Flying Scotsman and Pendennis Castle were at Market Overton and used the High Dyke branch to access BR at High Dyke.

I believe the line was opened around 1917, but some extensions were later.

I recommend Eric Tonks books on Ironstone Quarrying (currently published by Booklaw) for anyone wanting more information. I do have some more information on the latter years of BR operation and the preservation attempt if anyone wants it.

David
You may enjoy my photos which have now moved to flickr from the sadly missed fotopic.

They can be found at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/