Tyne-Tees

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Norman Coyne
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Tyne-Tees

Post by Norman Coyne »

Did the Tyne-Tees Express replace the Tyne-Tees Pullman or complement it? I know in the late 40's early 50's I travelled on the TTE was it perhaps a couple of non Pullman coaches on the same train?
Norman
tommyd49
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by tommyd49 »

What exactly is a pullman?
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

Pullman coaches - named after George Pullman, their American originator - were specially-built, notably luxurious vehicles which were introduced into the UK in the second half of the 19th Century on, I think (but stand to be corrected), Anglo-Scottish services originating from London St.Pancras. At first the carriages were owned and operated by Pullman themselves - I don't know for sure, but suspect that later Pullman services (such as, for example, the "Blue Pullman" from Manchester Central to St.Pancras) were operated under some sort of licensing arrangement.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
billdonald
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: Tyne-Tees

Post by billdonald »

It's a common mistake, but this train was called the "Tees-Tyne Pullman", and not "Tyne-Tees" - that's the name of the local commercial television channel.

Bill
Norman Coyne wrote:Did the Tyne-Tees Express replace the Tyne-Tees Pullman or complement it? I know in the late 40's early 50's I travelled on the TTE was it perhaps a couple of non Pullman coaches on the same train?
Norman