Woodford Halse Shed

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

BHornsey
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Woodford Halse Shed

Post by BHornsey »

Hi.

Does anyone out there have a layout plan of Woodford Halse Shed in the 50's? Apparently there were some changes made prior to then. Did they take out the turntable and put a Grantham style angle in?

I'd appreciate any help.

Brian
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Woodford Shed

Post by Bill Bedford »

BHornsey wrote:Hi.

Does anyone out there have a layout plan of Woodford Halse Shed in the 50's? Apparently there were some changes made prior to then. Did they take out the turntable and put a Grantham style angle in?
There wasn't a shed called Woodford Halse in 1950s It was plain Woodford until after the LMR took it over.
Track plans at the NRM
OPC 7876
OPC 7877(2)
OPC 20529
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: Woodford Halse Shed

Post by R. pike »

This covers only the signalled area but it does mention loco and triangle..

http://richard2890.fotopic.net/p42943205.html
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Woodford Shed

Post by hq1hitchin »

Bill Bedford wrote:

There wasn't a shed called Woodford Halse in 1950s It was plain Woodford until after the LMR took it over.

Yes, but let's not get too hung up about it. Dick Hardy, who was shedmaster at Woodford in the early 50s, is wont to refer to Woodford Halse as well, whilst the LNER Sectional Appendix lists the station and yards as Woodford & Hinton.
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Thu May 01, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adge
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by adge »

Colwick (Notts) or Colwich (Cheshire)? No shed at Colwich surely?
50C
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 50C »

Colwick(Notts)-38A/40E/16B

50C
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

I'd appreciate any help.

Brian
I had always understood that the Grantham "scissors" triangle was unique, at least in Britain. Am I right?

Kudu
crudshoveller
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by crudshoveller »

Re the Woodford/Woodford Halse uncertainty. The devil is in the details eh. And I don't have the details, except Woodford Halse was certainly referred to as such prior to LMR takeover of that part of the GC (I recall the date of handover as February 1958 - but please correct me if I'm wrong). The term 'Woodford Halse' certainly appears in an Ian Allan publication of 1956 - for I have a locoshed book from then before me now. At that time Woodford Halse shed code was 38E. When the LMR took control the shed code became 2F, and later still 1G.
Regarding the turning facility there. There had at one time been a turntable, but I don't personally know when the change occurred, but in later days there was a turning triangle, on open ground behind the shed, that is to the north of the shed.
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

My 1950 Locoshed Book lists 38E as 'Woodford Halse'.

IMHO it is quite reasonable to refer to the shed under this name, even if 'officially' it was called 'Woodford' or something else.
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

Try this (from the Engine Shed Society webpage):

'GREAT CENTRAL - The Twilight Years' by Tony Newman. For reference, if anyone has a particular interest in WOODFORD HALSE MPD, in my book are more than 70 photographs taken either inside the shed or around the shed yard in the period 1960-1964. The 288 page album features over 450 images in all, most of the Rugby-Woodford Halse-Aylesbury stretch of the GC. Details of the book are found in the web site: http://steamcentral.tripod.com/
Tony
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Tony »

Unfortunately that Great Central book mentioned above went out of print several years ago.
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

crudshoveller wrote:Regarding the turning facility there. There had at one time been a turntable, but I don't personally know when the change occurred, but in later days there was a turning triangle, on open ground behind the shed, that is to the north of the shed.
The triangle would have been a conventional one, not the Grantham scissors type.

Kudu
Tony
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Tony »

If it is of interest to anyone the turning triange appears on (among others) the Ordnance Survey One Inch to Mile Seventh Series map - number 145 (Banbury). Grid ref 544 535.5 drops you bang in the middle of the triangle.
Eightpot
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Eightpot »

Just to confuse matters even more, the LNER passenger services timetable effective from October 1st, 1945 refers to the station as 'Woodford and Hinton'.