Woodford Halse Shed

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

AndyRush
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Woodford Halse Shed

Post by AndyRush »

The station opened as Woodford & Hinton and was renamed Woodford Halse on 01.11.1948.
I can find no reference to the shed or the signalboxes or the yards being named anything other than plain Woodford, except, I think (and I can't check it because it's on loan), in the 1960 LMR (Midland Lines) Sectional Appendix where the boxes were listed with the 'Halse' suffix. I'm sure that the actual nameplates on the boxes were simply Woodford No.1 etc until closure, see http://tillyweb.biz/abcw/woodfordhalseone1.jpg

Regards

Andy
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Pyewipe Junction wrote:My 1950 Locoshed Book lists 38E as 'Woodford Halse'.

IMHO it is quite reasonable to refer to the shed under this name, even if 'officially' it was called 'Woodford' or something else.
Phew that goodness for that, I thought we were going to descend into rmweb-style oneupmanship and pedantry. :twisted:
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

IMHO it is quite reasonable to refer to the shed under this name, even if 'officially' it was called 'Woodford' or something else.
Yeadon's 1923 and 1947 allocations both say "Woodford". A day later (1/1/48) Banks lists it as "Woodford Halse". The OS map says "Woodford Halse".

With a bit of luck this one will run and run like the Greenfield controversy I inadvertently raised a while back.

Kudu
BHornsey
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by BHornsey »

kudu wrote:

Yeadon's 1923 and 1947 allocations both say "Woodford". A day later (1/1/48) Banks lists it as "Woodford Halse". The OS map says "Woodford Halse".

With a bit of luck this one will run and run like the Greenfield controversy I inadvertently raised a while back.

Kudu
Many thanks for the responses but the original question as to when the turntable was replaced by the triangle seems to be unknown.

Brian
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

BHornsey wrote:Many thanks for the responses but the original question as to when the turntable was replaced by the triangle seems to be unknown.
At least we know the turntable was replaced and not by a scissors-style triangle. I'll keep an eye open for more.

Kudu
modelrailways
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by modelrailways »

R. pike wrote:This covers only the signalled area but it does mention loco and triangle..

http://richard2890.fotopic.net/p42943205.html
Anyone have an update as the URL does not exist. I am looking for a track plan of the signalled area. Thanks.
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

I can upload it to flickr if you like.. (if i can find it on this machine)
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

crudshoveller
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by crudshoveller »

Tony wrote:Unfortunately that Great Central book mentioned above went out of print several years ago.
A bit late now for the original enquirer perhaps, but this GC book is available and has plenty of pics of Woodford Halse - even one of a loco on the turning triangle:

http://rustyrails.wix.com/rugby-to-marylebone
Tony west
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Tony west »

I have some copies of an LNE plan dated April 1941 showing all the yards and new works inc the loco shed....pm me and I can email you a copy !.
Cheers Tony.
Earle
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Earle »

Tony wrote:Unfortunately that Great Central book mentioned above went out of print several years ago.
But try this (currently) current web site: http://rustyrails.wix.com/rugby-to-marylebone
Nick Bergquist
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Nick Bergquist »

Hello, first post here.. adding to a very old thread.

If anyone is still interested, I've recently discovered the turning triangle on a great side-by-side old cartography/modern topography comparison site at:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebysi ... ht=BingHyb

What is very interesting is that it appears that the turning triangle is very much evidenced today by distinctive dark bands in what is now a ploughed field. In fact, I would venture to say that it has been buried and still exists, therefore being the last piece of trackwork still at Woodford. Bring on Sir Tony Robinson... what a great subject this would have been for Time Team!
woodford-halse_turning_triangle.jpg
Regards,
Nick
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Interesting find, thanks' for posting, and welcome to the forum.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Nick Bergquist
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Nick Bergquist »

Thanks.

Yes, I'm sure someone might find a use in modelling long-since disappeared rural lines. For example, the OS map line details can be mapped on top of the satellite image to give a good idea of the surrounding scenery and topography.

Regards,
Nick
woodford_plan_01a.jpg
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

It's amazing that so much can just disappear.