KX train diagrams in the 1970s.

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: ECS and other workings at KX in the 70s.

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Thats the train that I was on when we were derailed, just after running round.See 'Memories' thread
manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Fri May 02, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents
Thanks for that Micky, Yep, something that has stayed in my mind since then, can feel the engine bouncing over the sleepers, now? and watching the signal sway, before toppling over!! a very memorable day indeed :twisted:
manna
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

StevieG wrote:hqi,
Thanks for coming up with that headcode of '5L30'. Don't know how I could have forgotten that one. Do you recall, as I seem to, some sort of similar up working beong called 5A19 ?
Andy W has kindly reminded me that the up 'longer distance' mixed coaching stock train was not my uncertain 5A19, but was 5A00.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Things were a little different in 1972, as the Summer WT lists an 0140 from Kings Cross Goods arriving at Temple Mills at 0243 headcode 8C02, although it was MX. The return working seems to be 8B07 the 0328 from Temple Mills to Welwyn GC.

John
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Fri May 02, 2014 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hermit 109
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Hermit 109 »

Hi Micky, came into this thread a bit late but reading about your trip to N/castle with 'Angry Silence" who's name if you remember was Jim Allen. He was my regular driver when I was in No 3 link at the Cross, he was a difficult guy to get to know at first, but after a while he became a good mate to have. He never let his secondman drive London side of Hitchin and was a stickler for speed limits, I remember him tapping me on the shoulder when I inadvertantly let a 47 reach 92mph on a 90mph stretch. As a fireman, his regular engine was 60033 Seagull and I remember him telling me that he was injured looking out of the cab on a Leeds trip, when someone threw a missile from bridge and he was always wary when we passed under bridges with kids above. Regarding West Parade hotel at N/castle which we called "Anders Palace" (a reference to the owner), this replaced the original lodge at the County Hotel in the centre of town after it closed to business and the K.X LDC had to find another lodge in short time under threat of losing the double home workings. When I was lodging, "Anders Palace" was the only standing building left among demolished slums. All the remaining vermin homed in on the place and after having my snap pilfered by mice while I was asleep on more than one occasion, I took to leaving my valuables and food in my locker at the station. The 01.00 trip was the only turn where we used to sign on twice in the same day, and I used to think it the worst of the double home trips to N/castle as it was in darkness all the way there and back. Beware of New England pilot drivers if you had a Deltic, with not much experience they would tip everyone out of bed starting away from stations and you just knew she would overload.
Happy times!
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Yep, you needed soft hands to pull away with a Deltic with a full load, OK to open the controller wide, when you were light engine or doing a bit of shunting, seen them trip out more than once :lol: Did'nt seem to matter with a 47 though! just open the controller and leave it there, Best Mixed traffic engine EVER :mrgreen:
manna
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: KX train diagrams in the 1970s.

Post by 52D »

micky its a good job you lot werent St Margarets men. A certain Y9 job was shunting breweries and distilleries and you can imagine the perks of that one.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Fri May 02, 2014 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Our favourite train in the late 1960s/early 1970s was the class 31 hauled slow service from Kings Cross that took 3 hours to reach Grantham. The headcode seemed to be 1C18 for a few years and it must have left KX at about 0600, because it reached Grantham at 0900 approx. The train was only 4 or 5 Mk1s and must have stopped at every station en route, but would have been an easy job for a 31.

We spotters always said we would ride on it one day, but never did because it was far too early to get there from Lincolnshire and a hotel room in London was way beyond our budget.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/