Locos on the ECML

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

alangdance
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Locos on the ECML

Post by alangdance »

I am intrested to know what Locos would have been seen on the ECML during the 50s and 60s. Steam,diesels,DMU etc. What BR Standard Class locos were seen? Would other region locos been seen on specials maybe (hoilday,football, freight,etc). I am research the area around Peterbrough.
LNERandBR
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by LNERandBR »

Well there would be all the Pacific Classes of A4, A3, A2 (And subvarents) and A1, V2's, K3's and various other ex LNER classes.
By Stephen

Mad about the LNER, BR Eastern region in the 50's, Rail Blue Diesels and Sectorisation era.
alangdance
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by alangdance »

Can you be give more details about the ex LNER classes.
Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Tom Quayle »

See the locomotive pages richards done a great job on them and as far as the 50s/60s era.
There was also standards and other types
The following sring to mind
9fs
Austerity 2-8-0s
standard 4s 76***, 75***, 80***
About the only standard types not to grace the best line in the country were the Clans (72*** number series) and 71000
Around the Leeds and NE area Scots Jubillies and the ever present Black 5s made odd apearences. The best place for verity would proberbly be around London and Between Doncaster and the Border the latter because of the Cross Country traffic
As far as steam replacements go
BR green
Classes 08, 15, 17, 20, 24, 25, 37, 47 and of course the Deltics (tops code 55)
Other locos from Cross country or GC traffic would be
40, 44, 45, 46
But if you are interested in modelling the ECML then its your railway run what you like Iam currently modelling annesley and I plan to run Bullied Pacifics and other more SW origin locos on a layout based near the GCR.

Don't worry though I haven't gone all flat as far as locos go V2s, A1/2/3/4 pacifics will also be well represented as well as the 9f spaceships
The weather here is Baltic but so were the tank engines
Furness Railway and GCR fan.
125mph tilt vs 126.5mph duck
Advanced North West Productions.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia