The LNER at the Movies (and in books)

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: The LNER at the Movies (and in books)

Post by redtoon1892 »

The "Flying Scotsman" film stars Ray Milland available from the U.S. region 1 DVD.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Drama-Classics- ... 32&sr=1-12
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

Is this the Dr Finlay clip ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMd56jtdQj0
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

Is this the Dr Finlay clip ?
This clip is from one of the later remakes; was it the 1990's?

In the original BBC series, Andrew Cruikshank played Dr Cameron & Barbara Mullen played Janet, forgotten the name of the actor who played the eponymous role.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

60022Mallard wrote:Hopefully I have correctly uploaded a view of a carriage said to be 3280 at Peterborough 25.06.55. H.C. Casserley 81860
If that's at Peterborough then there is something terribly wrong with the track. The carriage has a CIE logo on it
60022Mallard
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 60022Mallard »

Bill Bedford.

I believe the carriage is part of a Great Eastern area close coupled set that was used to portray Irish stock in a film made in England. As the CIE logo was still on it some time after filming I presume that the set did not re-enter revenue service.

Regards.
Haymarket
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Haymarket »

The first Dr Finlay series was entitled “Dr. Finlay’s Casebook” and was screened on BBC TV from 1962-1971 and starred Andrew Cruikshank as Dr. Cameron, Bill Simpson as Dr. Finlay and Barbara Mullen as Janet. The scene of Dr. Finlay arriving at Tannochbrae was filmed at the station at Uplawmoor, a village in East Renfrewshire, south-west of Glasgow. My father, who was District Operating Superintendent, took me along to see it. I was quite young at the time and was not sure if I had remembered it correctly so I did a search online and found this reference.

A station called Caldwell existed near Uplawmoor. It opened in 1871 and was renamed to Uplawmoor upon the closure of the station with the same name on the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway in 1962. In 1966 Caldwell was renamed 'Tannochbrae' and dressed with period detail for one day on the 11th October to allow the filming of an episode of Dr Finlay's Casebook. 'J36' 0-6-0 No. 65345 was provided for the filming, together with two Caledonian coaches.[25]

25. Sanders, K. & Hodgins, Douglas (1995), British Railways, Past & Present. Pub. Past & Present. ISBN 1-85895-074-0. p 63.

The Caledonian railway coaches were probably the ones now preserved on the Bo’ness and Kinneal Railway.
DavidBelcher
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by DavidBelcher »

Don't forget The Man In The White Suit - towards the end of the film, Stratton (Alec Guinness) tries to get away from town by rail to leak news of the miracle fabric to the press. This scene was filmed at Brimsdown near Enfield and features a B1 at one point.

Also, Marylebone has been used for location filming on umpteen occasions, including the opening scenes of The Ipcress File (even if the loco and stock were not ex-LNER) and Billy Liar. Although the latter was mostly filmed in Bradford, the railway station scenes were not shot at Exchange as is sometimes assumed. In the original Keith Waterhouse novel, Stradhoughton New station appears, from the destinations of the trains listed, to be a thinly-disguised version of Leeds City.

Edit: Apparently Marylebone also pops up for the departure of the Glasgow mail train in Robbery, although the rest of the railway stuff was filmed on the ex-LMS Rugby-Peterborough line.

David
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Ah Haymarket im not dreaming after all but i thought the coaches had been painted into NBR colours along with the loco. Do you have any idea of the name of the episode i have searched a number of Dr Finlay fansites but cant find a reference to it. I would love to finally put this story to bed.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
coachmann

Post by coachmann »

My wife and kiddies travelled in a GCR 6-wheel coach (attached to a Gresley) on the K&WVR circa 1971 when filming 'Country Matters'. The same coaches were used shortly after in filming 'Railway Children'. Tough luck for me though as I was left driving the car to pick everyone up! :(
DavidBelcher
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by DavidBelcher »

Another one I'd almost forgotten - the 1960 version of School for Scoundrels. Ian Carmichael's character, Henry Palfrey, arrives at the College of Lifemanship by train to Yeovil - in reality a pre-electrification Hertford East station!

David
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

There was a Marylebone scene in one of the Beatles' films - A Hard Day's Night, mainly in the entrance and booking hall, I think. My sister-in-law's father Sid White was a signalman at Marylebone (anyone remember him?) at the time and got the lads' autographs, which my sister-in-law has to this day.
Haymarket
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Haymarket »

I don't remember the name of the Dr. Finlay's Casebook episode but it must have screened within a few weeks of the filming at Uplawmoor station on 11th October, 1966 if the information online is correct.
60027Merlin
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 60027Merlin »

Maxonian wrote:I have just seen again the Kenneth More 39 Steps. The A1 looks like 60162 - the last "real" one! Am I wrong? :?:
No! it is Haymarket's 60162 and not 60147 as noted in some articles.
PGBerrie

Post by PGBerrie »

Looking at all these movies, I'm surprised not to find Sherlock Holmes - Bradshaw was always at hand. Didn't he travel to Scotland in the Private Life of Sherlock Holmes. Being a discerning man, he must surely have preferred the East Coast to the West Coast route.

Peter
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I don't know if this has been posted before but i was in the Ian Allan shop in Waterloo today and noticed 'four' new Middleton press titles to deal with the GNR/LNER. The first is Kings Cross to Potters Bar (which i bought). The second is Potters Bar to Cambridge. The third is Hitchin to Peterborough and the fourth is the Hertford loop. I think all three titles have only been out a month or two?. Micky GNR/L.N.E.R.