The LNER at the Movies (and in books)

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

md644
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by md644 »

Just found this forum whilst looking for something else, and at risk of being a smartarse in my first post, a small correction if I may:

Holiday Camp 1947
LNER tank arrives at Sandsend (Whitby/Scarborough bound train IIRC). Jack Warner. Dir Ken Annakin.

The main parts of the film were shot at Butlin's Filey, which had its own station on the landward side, Sandsend was chosen presumably because it was obviously at the seaside....
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Thanks for the correction.

As it happens, I was thinking only lastnight that I should get on with the planned film page.
Give me a few weeks, and I might have it up and running...
(also working on the remaining 0-6-0s, and looking at the electrics)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Bill6
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Bill6 »

I vaugley remeber a St. Trinians movie where the students steal a locomotive for some reason, I think it may have been a J94 but can't really be sure as I was a kid when I saw it.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I've now compiled the above information into an article page:

http://www.lner.info/article/filmtv/filmtv.shtml

Additions, corrections, and further information should be posted to this thread, and I will add it to the above article at regular intervals.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
md644
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by md644 »

Not sure if these count (don't see why not):

Clockwise (1986)

Hull Paragon (masquerading as Norwich I think). Appears near the start of the film where John Cleese gets on the wrong train.

A Chorus of Disapproval (1988)

Scarborough, one of the main characters arrives at Scarborough by train near the start of the film (IIRC).
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Thanks I'll get them added.

If we get a lot of modern station masquades then I might restrict them to only those with a strong LNER flavour.

Another one we've missed: The Harry Potter series (Kings Cross and Glenfinnan Viaduct / West Highland Line).

I'm also going to remove Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines. It looks like Bedford - Hitchin was LMS. Now closed, there's a tunnel exploration here:

http://www.sassylad.co.uk/feed/urbex

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Richard,

Someone mentioned THE GREAT ST.TRINIAN’S TRAIN ROBBERY. This film was released in 1966 and is notable for being filmed on the Longmoor Military Railway It features two WD saddle tanks, identical to the J94s, which the LNER bought army surplus after the war. I recall that one of them was painted black and numbered in the 680XX series, and I think the other one gained some dummy side tanks and looked a bit like a J50.

Strictly speaking, this film should not be included in your list as neither locomotive was truly ex-LNER.

Colombo
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Thanks Colombo - I can add it as an Austerity posing as an ex-LNER J94!

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Green Arrow
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Green Arrow »

Two model Flying Scotsman tenders appear in Thomas the Tank Engine episode, Tender Engines, as well as a bigger appearence in Railway Series No. 23, Enterprising Engines (Book, 1968, TV 1991)

BTW, is the Keighley and Worth Valley (1970 Railway Childran) an LNER line or an LMS line?
Nice N2 I've got here. Probably send it to 'The Cross'.

Green Arrow,
Darlington Sig Shed
Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Tom Quayle »

Shame that them tender were slightly off colour, more of a lime green
The weather here is Baltic but so were the tank engines
Furness Railway and GCR fan.
125mph tilt vs 126.5mph duck
Advanced North West Productions.
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Green Arrow,

The KWVR was an LMS line, however the adjacent platform at Keigthley was used by GNR/LNER trains from Bradford Exchange via the Queensbury triangle. These were often hauled by ex-GNR locos such as the N1s, which is probably why the similar last remaining N2 was initially preserved at Howarth.

Colombo
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

Get Carter - 1970/71. The original one, not the crap remake with Sylvester Stallone in it!

The opening sequence features a Deltic-headed Newcastle express and various brief shots (?from the cab) of tunnels, bridges etc. Also the train arriving at Newcastle in the early evening.

Sorry, no steam. Does this one count?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Thanks - I'll add it.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
thie keoie
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by thie keoie »

Hi. Is this topic still running? I'm a new member and just found it.

Further to the Harry Potter theme, in the first film, Goathland was used as the setting for Hogsmeade Station.

Hull Paragon has been "dressed" to look like a Southern Railway terminus for episodes of Poirot, featuring 777 Sir Lamiel, which, if I remember rightly, was based at the former Humberside Locomotove Preservation Group's Dairycoates (Hull) depot at the time of filming.
md644
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by md644 »

Yeah, around the same time they also filmed scenes (dressed as Charing Cross or Victoria?) for a WW1 period drama at Paragon, and also a Fererro Rocher advert (I think that also used Sir Lamiel, but they faked the steam and used an out of shot dielsel to move the train. But I digress....