The LNER at the Movies (and in books)

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: The LNER at the Movies (and in books)

Post by giner »

^ Yeah, that would be a right turn-off. Thanks for the warning, Micky.
Kyle1987
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Kyle1987 »

A nice little one in the first Young Bond book "SilverFin", when James Bond is heading up to Scotland to visit his Aunt.

During his time at King's Cross station waiting for the train to depart an announcement read:
"The seven thirty-nine London and North Eastern Railway Sleeping Car Express to Fort William via Edinburgh is ready for boarding on platform six..."
A nice little piece to find for the railway enthusiast indeed :)
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Movie critics generally consider the three cinematic versions of 39 Steps to get successively worse. I have yet to see the Robert Powell version so I don't know if I would agree or not. However I would agree the Hitchcock version is getting dated - and is more dated than The Lady Vanishes (another English Hitchcock).

The Kenneth More version does have more to appeal to the rail enthusiast.

As for the TV version, yes there's the U-boat at the end, and they edited a lot in from the other Richard Hannay Books (e.g. the girl), but all-told it was pretty true to the feel of the books. E.g. the girl has the same kind of qualities his eventual (literary) wife has (I'm not sure if the names were the same).

Of course the best version of 39 Steps is Hitchcock's own American remake: North by Northwest!
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Trafford Park
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Trafford Park »

Anyone looked closely at the steam scenes in From Russia With Love. The daytime shots were taken abroad. The night time shots are of a Scot and a Jubilee passing a Midland style signal box.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

In the Michael Caine film GET CARTER from 1971 the opening sequence of the film features the opening film credits played against filmed cab views of the ECML at various locations from KINGS CROSS to NEWCASTLE the most interesting of which being a cab view approaching DONCASTER from the south at 'twilight' on approaching and passing DECOY No.1 s/box featuring BALBY JUNCTION s/box distant signal 'coming off to the clear' when just approaching DECOY No.1 s/box signals gantry. :wink:
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

@Trafford Park: I don't thnk that is LNER though?

@Micky: I believe we have "Get Carter" in the list? (see thread and the list at the top of the thread)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

richard wrote:@Trafford Park: I don't thnk that is LNER though?

@Micky: I believe we have "Get Carter" in the list? (see thread and the list at the top of the thread)
Trafford Park I've been informed was a GCR shed Richard ;)
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

TomF: Yes "Trafford Park" is a user - I was referring to his comment.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

richard wrote:@Micky: I believe we have "Get Carter" in the list? (see thread and the list at the top of the thread)
Yeah i guessed it probably had been mentioned before Richard but i thought i'd give it another mention. :wink:

Thinking about it further i wonder if that cab ride film footage in it's entirety from Kings Cross to Newcastle circa 1970 still survives from that film cos if it does it would be very interesting to watch if it does?. :wink:
Tom F
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Tom F »

richard wrote:TomF: Yes "Trafford Park" is a user - I was referring to his comment.
oops my apologies Richard :oops:
Tom Foster
Modelling the North Eastern Area of the LNER - 1935-1939
BlythStationLad
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by BlythStationLad »

Don't know whether I should suggest this... What about adding those films/clips from the BFI/British Transport Films Archive? Also have a look at the following website: http://www.nrfta.org.uk

The latter is the Northern Region Film and Television Archive, based at Teesside University. Not all the films are available yet but there's plenty to whet your appetite!!
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Trafford Park wrote:Anyone looked closely at the steam scenes in From Russia With Love. The daytime shots were taken abroad. The night time shots are of a Scot and a Jubilee passing a Midland style signal box.
Ay up!

The daytime shots mainly show a RENFE 2-8-2 so shot in Spain.

Immediately after the shots of the train, Bond nicks a pickup truck and drives off, pursued by a helicopter. It must have been one long chase because the remains of the pickup are still in an abandoned surface quarry round the back of Manod Mawr near Ffestiniog!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Not specifically the LNER in a film, but on the video 'Trains From The ARC' vol 3 the John Huntley commentary is in error when covering the Shildon Centenary procession in 1925.

He mentions a Gresley Pacific, which actually does appear further along the procession, but the loco passing the camera is actually the brand new P1 2-8-2 locomotive as can be seen by the number and air pumps on the boiler side.

This may be the only moving picture of a P1 in existence?
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
seacoaler
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by seacoaler »

LNER Exhibition Norwich 1939

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/906

Manningtree Station -a day in the life 1979 - fascinating! :D

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/613

edit-Free films on net ( theres a lot more on this East Anglian Film Archive site -
Last edited by seacoaler on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Thanks for those clips, seacoaler. Great stuff. The Norwich clip had me going for a moment at about the 3:20 mark when what I momentarily thought was an A4, but with 2589 on the cab side, appeared. Then I twigged it was the streamlined B17 East Anglian. :oops: Good view of the cabfront lining, though. Cheers.