The LNER at the Movies (and in books)

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: The LNER at the Movies (and in books)

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hi,
I have just watched a 1947 movie, set in the East End, with repetitive railway over-bridge scenes from street-side, these were mostly done in Clarence Way, Camden Town.
I believe the over-bridge carried the then North London Railway. Tank engines (and what appears to be a GW pannier) appear often back and forth, but mostly in silhouette.
Did the NLR have pannier tanks?
Many other scenes appear to be from the Camden Town area adjacent to the LMS yards.

The end of the movie, the last 5-7 minutes, is set in a railway goods yard, reputed to be Temple Mills Railway Yard, Temple Mills, Stratford.
The tank engines in that segment appear to have LNER numbering.
I also noticed a PO wagon amongst many (of which the lettering still shows well), with the lettering Stirrup & Rye, Stoke on Trent. One that I have never heard of.

The film, a situation drama set post-war one day in March, "It Always Rains on Sunday" was one of the most popular movies at the British box office in 1948.
In the decades since its release, the reputation of this film has grown from that of a neatly engrossing slice-of-life drama to a film often cited as one of the most overlooked achievements of late-1940s British cinema. "The East End London neighborhood is shown in a series of interlocking tales during a single day. For example, one of the families portrayed is Jewish but they are not stereotypes."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b4Pkl1 ... detailpage

Taglines: The secrets of a street you know
Language: English | Yiddish
Release Date: 1948 (Austria)
Filming Locations: Broadgate, and elsewhere, London, England, UK
Production Co: Ealing Studios
Runtime: 92 min
Sound Mix: Mono (RCA Sound System)
Color: Black and White
Aspect Ratio: 1.37 : 1

regards
Kimball Thurlow
seacoaler
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by seacoaler »

Thanks for detailed replies Eddie and 2392 , thought it was Tynemouth because Tynemouth buses featured ( very colourful in red and white ) but looking again lady crosses the river on Tyne ferry.
Another shot of South Shields with DMU , the 'grim north ' . The director of 'Villains' series definetly watched 'Get Carter' :)
vlcsnap-2014-06-23-14h04m39s243.jpg
And also the tail end of Gateshead East station-
vlcsnap-2014-06-23-14h00m44s194.jpg
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hi,
John Nettles is well known for his appearances in Bergerac and Midsomer Murder.

The Agatha Christie Hour: Season 1, Episode 4
The Fourth Man (28 Sep. 1982) featured John Nettles as a young man.

The episode is set in an LNER carriage (showing the LNER logo on the seat anti-macassars), between London and York, with the occasional lineside shot.
Flashbacks provide the major scenes away from the train.

regards
Kimball
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

kimballthurlow wrote:Hi,
I have just watched a 1947 movie, set in the East End, with repetitive railway over-bridge scenes from street-side, these were mostly done in Clarence Way, Camden Town.
I believe the over-bridge carried the then North London Railway. Tank engines (and what appears to be a GW pannier) appear often back and forth, but mostly in silhouette.
Did the NLR have pannier tanks?
Many other scenes appear to be from the Camden Town area adjacent to the LMS yards.
The NLR did not have pannier tanks. What resembles a pannier is, I think, a GN J52 saddle tank. These would certainly have worked over the North London through Camden.

Kudu
Trestrol

Post by Trestrol »

While flicking channels yesterday i cam across the film "Geordie" (1955) with Bill Travers. There looked to be a stock footage shot of what I think was a Southern M7 with air pump then to a scene of two pre grouping coaches at a station with the cast. One coach was in plain maroon and the other was painted brown. You could see one of the numbers which i can't remember apart from the fact it was SCxxxxxE. does anybody have more info about the railway scenes in this film. will keep an eye on the Film 4 schedule for it being repeated.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Ive a feeling Geordie may be on you tube Trestrol.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Trestrol

Post by Trestrol »

TRESTROL wrote:While flicking channels yesterday i cam across the film "Geordie" (1955) with Bill Travers. There looked to be a stock footage shot of what I think was a Southern M7 with air pump then to a scene of two pre grouping coaches at a station with the cast. One coach was in plain maroon and the other was painted brown. You could see one of the numbers which i can't remember apart from the fact it was SCxxxxxE. does anybody have more info about the railway scenes in this film. will keep an eye on the Film 4 schedule for it being repeated.
Managed to record this today and get the details of the loco number. It's a NBR C16 67488 with two BTK coaches SC3514E in Brown and SC3164E in Maroon. Went on here to trace the loco and lo and behold i found the film mentioned in the C16 loco section of this website. There is also a scene of an LMS 4F at Tilbury Riverside.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

rha888 wrote:Some further info + a correction:

1) Hitchcock/Donat 39 Steps 1935

Loco leaving Kings X - 2595/60084 Trigo - named after 1929 Derby and St Leger winner.

GWR loco exiting tunnel is 6000 King George V
Did anyone see this again on BBC4 on Tuesday (30/12)?
Cutter
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Cutter »

Not many books here! The Great Northern Line features in E M Forster's Howard's End, with a nice description of Mrs Munt's journey up to Howard's End--which was modeled on Forster's childhood home near Stevenage/Knebworth. He writes about the tunnels, the view from the Digswell viaduct, "skirting the parks of politicians" (Hatfield House?), the proximity of the Great North Road and the Welwyn tunnels--but puts them in the wrong sequence.
owd sweedy
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by owd sweedy »

[quote]I also noticed a PO wagon amongst many (of which the lettering still shows well), with the lettering Stirrup & Rye, Stoke on Trent. One that I have never heard of./quote]

Hi Kimball, thanks for the link. I enjoyed the police chase through the shunting yard.
As for Stirrup and Pye, they were the owners of Adderley Green Colliery, near Longton (Stoke-on-Trent), In 1935 they were bought by Settle Speakman, who had interests in the Mossfield colliery next door, but were allowed to keep the name on their wagons. The colliery closed in 1939. The wagon in the film was probably one of the pooled mineral wagons requisitioned by the government at the start of the war which ended up nationalised.
Cheers
Owd Sweedy.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Link on the BBC's Great British Railway Journeys page to various archive broadcasts, not all LNER-related but several are:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/group/p01277qd
seacoaler
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by seacoaler »

In the opening minutes ofthe film 'Holiday Camp' on You Tube about the Huggets the family get off a train that pulls into Sandsend station on the Redcar to Whitby coastal line, possibly Sandsends only movie appearance ! -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XvRTqMebF4
Untitled.png
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

TRESTROL wrote:
TRESTROL wrote:While flicking channels yesterday i cam across the film "Geordie" (1955) with Bill Travers. There looked to be a stock footage shot of what I think was a Southern M7 with air pump then to a scene of two pre grouping coaches at a station with the cast. One coach was in plain maroon and the other was painted brown. You could see one of the numbers which i can't remember apart from the fact it was SCxxxxxE. does anybody have more info about the railway scenes in this film. will keep an eye on the Film 4 schedule for it being repeated.
Managed to record this today and get the details of the loco number. It's a NBR C16 67488 with two BTK coaches SC3514E in Brown and SC3164E in Maroon. Went on here to trace the loco and lo and behold i foVvvund the film mentioned in the C16 loco section of this website. There is also a scene of an LMS 4F at Tilbury Riverside.
To add to Trestrols input I quote from the RCTS Locomotives of the LNER part 7 page 44 "In September 1954 No.67488 was used in the making of the film Geordie in the vicinity of Gartmore on the Aberfoyle branch and it appeared for brief moments in the final production".
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Muzza
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Muzza »

In the very first episode of Hi-de-Hi, a couple of minutes in has a short clip featuring what looks like 4472 with two tenders.
Trestrol

Post by Trestrol »

Has anybody mentioned "School for scoundrels". Hertford east station masquerading as Yeovil station. loco numbered 68500 i think with some Gresley non-corridor coaches.