The LNER at the Movies (and in books)

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Re:

Post by 52D »

Phipps wrote: Thu May 21, 2015 1:41 am
x568wcn wrote:Are we just talking movies, or can we do tv aswell?

Dads Army, Series 6, episode 3, transmitted 14/11/1973
The Royal Train

Right at the end there is a shot of 60009 carrying the king.
Mark T
Back in autumn 1987, myself & 3 pals used the handcart that Hodges & Co give chase on, but we took it to Holt & back. One of us had missed a bus home & that was his only means of getting back.
First saw the episode directly after the Queen Mother's televised funeral & nearly choked with laughter, cos I couldn't believe what I was seeing
Burnmouth for Eyemouth, the King is approaching Burnmouth Station in the Scottish Borders.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: The LNER at the Movies (and in books)

Post by silverfox »

Was watching Sky Arts the other night re a programme about Buster Keaton.
Lots od US train shots, the suddenly a Blue Pullman appears and to keep it LNER later some close up shots of Gresley bogies.... still dont let facts etc etc

Being a continuity employee looks a very easy job, i wouldn't last 5 mins in the office
Platypus
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Platypus »

Hello All,

re TV, I remember a Marty Feldman sketch " The Loneliness of the Long Distance Golfer" where Marty, amongst other things, plays golf in the rain, hits the ball onto a moving coal train, which is headed by either an A1/A3 Pacific or a P1 2-8-2 bursting out of a two track railway tunnel ( B&W footage ), then hits the ball off the coal wagon and continues playing !

I am a retired signalman, and a number of workmates used to play golf in the early morning after the night shift, including in the rain, which did remind me of the Marty Feldman sequence above. I agree with Mark Twain " Golf is a good walk ruined "

Regards, Platypus.
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Have just stumbled across details of a film called ‘Holiday Camp’ which features a class A8 at Sandsend,I believe circa 1947.
And lo and behold its due to be screened on Channel 81 Talking Pictures TV on 29th August at 12.00
Enjoy
TrevorJ
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by TrevorJ »

Just come across this thread. One particularly interesting film is one released in 1938 entitled "Anything to Declare?"(which can currently be seen on the Talking Pictures TV Encore website). This features film of "Cock o' the North" in its original semi-streamlined shape, before it was given an A4 style front end. Google "Railway Movie Database" for these images and more information. There was also a 1935 musical, now lost, called "Cock o' the North from which this footage may have been taken,
MS302
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by MS302 »

I have not read all the posts in this thread,so forgive me if this one has been mentioned before:"The Man who loved war" starring Steve McQueen who played a USAAF bomber pilot who is shown driving a B1 (I cannot remember the number) arriving at Liverpool Street.The location very easy to recognise.
TrevorJ
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by TrevorJ »

The title was "The War Lover". In a shot of the smokebox the B1 is carrying its BR number despite the fact that the story is set in the Second War. In another shot of the cab side the "6" has been covered over. See http://railwaymoviedatabase.com/the-war-lover/ for more information.