LNER/East coast main line 1905s and 60s

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

whitey
NER Y7 0-4-0T

LNER/East coast main line 1905s and 60s

Post by whitey »

:?:
Hello. Just need a bit of information.
I was at Junior school in the late 50s/early 60s.
On my way to school I used to cross a bridge at a station called OAKLEIGH PARK near Barnet.I think this station was on the LNER/East Coast main line railway from King's Cross to Edinburgh.Also I think that the Flying Scotsman used this line along with the mallards.
I seem to remember standing on the bridge and watching them belting out of the Barnet tunnel and being engulfed in the smoke.
Am I correct about this station (Oakleigh Park) being on this line and about the Flying Scotsman ??

Whitey
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

Oakleigh Park is on what's known as the Hertford Loop - the suburban line from King's Cross through Hertford (unsurprisingly) which joins the "proper" East Coast Main Line near Stevenage. The Hertford Loop is frequently used for diversionary purposes when the ECML is blocked for any reason (engineering, accident, etc.) so it is very likely that you did see A4s like "Mallard" at this location on your way to school.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
whitey
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Hertford Loop

Post by whitey »

Hi there.

Thanks for your information re. the Hertford Loop. Oakleigh Park doesn't appear to be part of the Hertford Loop ...... rather part of the actual main line.
But was this so in the early 60s ?

Also me and my school pals used to lean over and try to spit into the smoke stacks which wasn't a good idea looking back. I mean...all that steam...how do you measure success.

Cheers :)
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

:oops: Oops - yes, you're right: it's on the main line itself, not the Hertford Loop. I must have travelled through Oakleigh Park hundreds of times going to/from King's Cross but have never noticed the station.

At least hockling (as we used to call it when we were kids) down steam locomotive chimneys compares favourably with heaving shopping trolleys onto the line, which is what the little scrotes do these days.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
whitey
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by whitey »

:P Thanks very much for helping me out re.Oakleigh Park station.I had an uncle who worked there in the ticket office many years ago.There were two bridges across the lines there ... one covered and one open.
I remember the steam trains and then suddenly ... these strange creatures called diesels,mainly the two car passenger ones I think.
I also remember listening to the goods trains trundling through early in the morning and engines shunting stuff in the goods yards.
If you want to know what the station looks like today (and I can't imagine that you do!!) then go to website www.therailwaystationgallery.fotopik.net/
But it's strange how pictures can trigger memories so that other ones bubble to the surface as well.
Anyway.Cheers for now