Saffron Walden Railway Station

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

moorve
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Saffron Walden Railway Station

Post by moorve »

Hi Everyone.

I was wondering if anyone on here might know where i can obtain plans of the now dismantled station at Saffron Walden, Essex.

Any plans or photos are useful.

Thanks

Steve
2512silverfox

Re: Saffron Walden Railway Station

Post by 2512silverfox »

Try The Great Eastern Society first. They are usually very helpful.
BHornsey
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by BHornsey »

There are some drawings in Peter Paye's book 'The Saffron Walden Branch' (Oxford Publishing Co) that may help. It's a good book even if the drawings aren't what you need!
You might also try the local library and ask if they have any large scale maps of the area for the period in question.

Brian
AndyRush
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by AndyRush »

If you input SEAX to Google and then search on Saffron Walden Station and scroll down the results you will get references to drawings in the Great Eastern Railway Society Collection under the D/Z classification. You can access this collection by visiting the Essex Record Office at Chelmsford and you don't have to be a member of the GERS (although we would like you to join!). The Signalling Record Society list a signal box diagram for 1892 under their reference S319.

HTH

Andy
Maz
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Maz »

I've only just noticed the post way back in August 2010 where Steve (moorve) was seekingdrawings/photos of the now extinct Saffron Walden station. I am currently buidling a 4mm:ft model of the whole of Saffron Walden station (35 ft in length) to P4 finescale standards. This was started by the Cambridge branch of the Scalefour Society, but has languished unfinished in a member's loft for 13 years. I have lots of photos, but they may of course be subject to somebody else's copyright. The station booking office still exists and is now converted to private residences. You can find it on google Maps street view in station Road nearly opposite the Railway Hotel with which it shares very distinctive brickwork and I assume, the same architect.

During a recent period of ill health when I couldn't do any model making I undertook an intensive session of counting bricks on photos in order to do accurate drawings of all the buildings. I have now completed CAD drawings of the weighbridge office and almost completed the goods shed. I had to guess one side of the weighbridge office but I think eveything else is pretty accurate on both buildings. I also have a drawing of the weighhbridge itself,

The goods shed is so large that in 4mm scale it is too long to fit on an A4 sheet, so I have don both 2mm and 4mm scale versions. I also have a very good drawing of the signal box produced by Alan Sibley over 20 years ago. I'm pretty sure I could get his permission to reproduce it. I have a drawing of the engine shed which you can download from the Great Eastern Railway Society for 80p.There is a high quality 7mm scale model of the engine shed made by the late Geoff Pember many years ago which forms part of the GERS/Essex Records Office collection, though it is held by a member in Rayleigh. I have about 20 photos of this model.

Also see Railway Bylines Summer Special Number One and Great Eastern Railway Engine Sheds Part 2 for good articles and photos.

This is the first time I have posted here and I'm not clear what the mechanism is for getting this information to moorve or anybody else who is interested but I would be only too happy to do so.

Graham