Kings Cross

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Kings Cross

Post by 52D »

Im working in London at the moment and find myself involved in several rail related projects. This morning i have had an opportunity to wander round Kings cross both up front and behind the scenes. Its amazing whats happening in the offices with some original features, metalwork etc being boxed in and protected ready to be reincorporated in the refurbished structure. What i cant get through my head was the lack of spotters. I timed my visit for ten o clock and there were more people photographing themselves up against a sign which said platform 9 3/4 than watching the departure of arguablly the best known train in the world.
Anyway back to the cross on Monday for a load test on a new goods lift in the refurbished building so between times i have a couple of hours to kill wandering round. Pity theres no steam due in.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Kings Cross

Post by strang steel »

The lack of real enthusiasts may have something to do with the attitude of the security staff there. I have been told in the recent past that photography is only permissable from the concourse (very useful- not!) and from posts on other forums I am not alone in receiving this advice.

I am not one of those people who wishes to get involved in arguments with "jobsworths", I just dont bother going there.

John
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

Beware of anthrax in the plasterwork!
coachmann
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by coachmann »

If a railway enthusiast did get past the semi detached polit bureau, is there anything worth seeing on the railway? Retorical question really.... :wink:
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Yes Micky, it is very strange going to Lynn direct from Kings Cross. However, my Dad lives in Downham Market and thinks the service is great - mainly because it is fast to Kings Cross from Cambridge. Not quite a Buffet Express, but a modern day equivalent?

I presume that with KX having less line congestion for outer suburban services, the West Norfolk service can be pathed more easily to that terminus? But I may be wrong.

I think it was possible in the distant past to get there from Kings Cross, via Peterborough and Sutton Bridge but I presume it was a lengthy journey even by through carriage, and the Liverpool Street service would have been much quicker, but far less quaint than rattling along the M&GN behind a Flying Pig.

It is just a shame that they closed the Hunstanton branch, because summer "bucket and spade" specials to the seaside resort would have livened Kings Cross up a bit in the holiday season.

John
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

....and yet, in a development that seemed to sum up the deliberate sabotaging of sensible rail services by the Treasury; when the initial suburban electrification was authorised in the mid-70s, the wires only went as far as Royston and passengers had to transfer to an old Cravens 2-car dmu for the last 14 miles to Cambridge.

I gather that the excuse was, the part beyond Royston could not produce the 7% return on capital investment that the civil servants insisted was a prerequisite to said investment.

I call it madness.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
coachmann
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by coachmann »

My visits to Kings X were restricted to a few days on December 1960 while from oop north staying with relatives in St.Albans. At least I saw Thompsons attractive Pacifics, machines I never saw when visiting Leeds or York.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
hyperion
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by hyperion »

As one who has travelled to the X, worked in and from it all my 7 decades, I feel rather disappointed that it's found by some to be so yawny boring. :shock: I only pass through it nowadays, apart from taking the odd photo, (unmolested so far) and keeping an eye on the great rebuilding that's changed the old place so completely from the Kings Cross that I grew up in. But, thinking about it and the other London termini, is it THAT boring ? Trouble is it's so much smaller than the others, I suppose, especially for the vitally important route it serves, which in itself is impeded by Welwyn viaduct and tunnels. Is this what makes it boring ?

Our 'boring' 91s are unique, the Mark IV coaches are much more roomy than those strange outdoor tube-trains that run out of Euston - although I am the first to say that Mark III coaches are more ergonomic, more comfortable - and now we have three varieties of 'Adelante' - including Grand Central's 'Darth Vadas'.

Surely, even making allowances for my inevitable prejudice, dear old Kings Cross isn't THAT boring ???

Kings Cross Addict. Bring back the clock on platform 10 - oops, sorry 8 :lol:
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Is the clock still there??????

manna :shock:
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

manna wrote:G'day Gents

Is the clock still there??????

manna :shock:
No mate, went when the footbridge was removed a while back. The clock tower on top of the building is still there, though!
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.