Kings Cross

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Kings Cross

Post by strang steel »

I don't remember that programme Micky, and I had a quick look on Wikipedia. It doesn't mention any TV appearances by Savile other than Top Of The Pops for 1968. However, your memory of it is so detailed that it must have happened at some time.

There is a website dedicated to children's TV, http://www.forthechildren.org.uk/ but it will take a long time to trawl through all those shows to try and find ones that it might be.

My only TV railway memory (apart from the news coverage of the 15 Guinea Special) from 1968 was the film of Flying Scotsman on the non-stop Edinburgh run.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I am fairly sure it was Savile.
Last edited by Mickey on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

Yes, I suppose it could have been a pilot programme. I wish that I had seen it now. :(

On the subject of steam and because this is the Kings Cross thread, and I am sure that it is written somewhere on the internet; but does anyone know the last official steam working out of Kings Cross? (not including preserved or 'new build' locos of course).

I presume there was an official 'official' date in 1963, but with diesel failures and unexpected workings in the small hours, I'm sure a few locos got through after that. And is there a similar last loco and date for steam goods working from any of the yards at the south end of the ECML?
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I was through there this morning and thought the facade looked magnificent now it's been cleared. It could do with the station name putting back up there above the windows, though. The square isn't quite completely clear -there's a large round something sticking up to one side, I assume something to do with the Underground station?

On a slightly different note, I haven't been that far south for some months - what is it that they're building to the east of the ECML from Bounds Green down to Hornsey? There looked to be several new buildings going up on the railway land along there.
Andy W
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Andy W »

That's the new Siemens Thameslink depot, which is going up on the site of Hornsey Up CS. There is also a bit of work going on in the existing depot, which is to be retained.

Annoyingly (for me), they keep saying that it is being built on the site of Coronation sidings, which actually lay to the north of the new building.
sandwhich

Post by sandwhich »

Kings Cross Top Shed closed on June 17th 1963 and its remaining steam allocation moved to New England and it was declared that no steam should come south of Peterborough, all the best laid plans etc. Steam made a number of appearances right up till May 1964 including an LMS 8F 2-8-0 (saw it myself) shortly after this time New England lost its remaining steam northwards and the remaining facilities at Top Shed were removed. The last recorded BR steam run was A4 Pacific 60009 in October 1964 which apart from 4472 was the next steam to depart in 1994 on Railtrack metals.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I read steam hauled express workings still found there way to Kings Cross during 1964 until the end of that year.
Last edited by Mickey on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sandwhich

Post by sandwhich »

As regards the B1 seen at Finsbury Park on New Years Day 1965. I do seem to remember that these locos were used during the winter of 63/64 for train heating at both the long closed Holloway and Hornsey CS and could well have been used for that purpose in the 64/65 winter.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted
Last edited by Mickey on Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy W

Post by Andy W »

Yes, a few 34E B1 locos were quietly outstabled at Hornsey steam shed for steam heat duties during winters 1963/4 and 1964/5 up to new years day 1965 when they had to be returned up north to be dispersed or withdrawn by the 2nd. The B1 seen at Finsbury Park was, presumably, one of those.

The instructions I saw in the files years later was that the loco numbers should not appear on any drivers dockets so it was all a bit officially unofficial, if you see what I mean!

The return of one of these led to an alleged incident with a well known Hitchin driver who was supposed to bring it on a truck train to Hitchin for a New England crew to take it north. He wanted a proper final run on steam so he and his mate slowed the train and hid on the engine so that passing a signal box it looked as if nobody was aboard. Train running away right line was sent and it was given a clear run through Hitchin.

There were a few railwaymen waiting with the P'boro crew on the platform to see it and when the signals came off for a clear run, there were a few mystified faces and as the B1 came into side view there was "Dave" beaming from ear to ear and to add insult to injury, he then stuck the regulator through the roof, G.N. style, banging the cab side as though he was whipping a racehorse (a trademark gesture) as he blasted off to the North.

"Management" were waiting for him on the platform on his return.

Despite my informant being an impeccable source, I did wonder whether this was just another tale about this very charismatic driver but then some years later I met the New England fireman who asked me "Is that mad xxxx at Hitchin still about?" and then he told me the same story.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Great tale Andy. Many thanks for sharing it. I can just imagine 'is face at the time; and quite ingenious, but relying on the signalmen to be looking for footplate crew to be visible!
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

That is marvellous. I just love the idea of him opening the regulator and banging on the cab sides as if whipping the loco into action.

The world could do with a few more of those characters these days.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Yeah that sounds good.
Last edited by Mickey on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sandwhich

Post by sandwhich »

Yes your right Andy W about these steam locos used as steam heating and Drivers told not to book these movements. During the winter of 62/63 an A3 60109 Hermit was used for this purpose at Hornsey CS and had to be taken to Top Shed for coal & water so far so good, but this loco was already withdrawn so it should have been at least moved by a diesel, too much trouble. so when a Driver at Top Shed was told to undertake this movement and don't book it, his reply was what happens if I should hit someone. Make sure you don't came the reply. What happens if I overrun signals. DON,T! came another reply. What happens if I should derail. PLEASE DON,T came the reply and book some overtime on Engine Movements we are having a bad night. Job Done.
Mickey

Re: A5s from Kings Cross?

Post by Mickey »

Sometimes you would see trains of ECS standing back from Wood Green No.1 back to Hornsey No.1 or even Ferme Park North Down on the Down Goods line as well.
Last edited by Mickey on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.