Shildon Wagon Works

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Shildon Wagon Works

Post by richard »

Does anyone know of a source of pictures of Shildon Wagon Works? I've tried Google without much success. Magazines and books would be okay - although books tend to be easier to find.

Actually, any "1930s-ish North England Wagon Works" would do. I'm looking for ideas to fill the middle space of my UK module. This could only be a cameo type scene, but I'm thinking of a wagon works or scrap yard. I've got plenty of dubious wagons and wagon bits to help fill the space up, as well as some spare building kits and parts that could probably be used.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Richard,

Tatlows "LNER wagons" has pictures of various wagons in many different situations, but none seem to be identified as Shildon. Don Rowland's "British Railway Wagons-the first half million" would not be much help to you either.

I do have a picture of the interiors of York's Carriage Works and the Wagon Works on pages 92 and 93 of Ken Hoole's " Rail Centres-York", and there is a plan of them on page 91.

Colombo
sir-nigel
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by sir-nigel »

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Colombo: Thanks - another book for the list :-)

sir-nigel: Thanks - I missed that page, although I did manage to find various pages refering to the new NRM museum on the Shildon site.

The site has some good "flavour" pictures along the line of what I was looking for - shame about the flash gimmick that keeps switching between images!

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia