LNER Lineside Mileage Signs

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

AndyG
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: LNER Lineside Mileage Signs

Post by AndyG »

There is a D/P plate fixed to a wall at Bedale station (D towards Leeming Bar,P towards Redmire).
Would this be D for Darlington,P for Preston or some other meaning?

Re the concrete steps to get over fences a couple of pages ago.
There is at least one between Leyburn and Redmire on the Wensleydale Railway still existing.
I'll check more carefully next visit.

Andy
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

The DP post is a Distance Point or Datum Point. All NER stations had one at the average centre of the platforms so if the platforms were staggered either side of a level crossing the DP post would be beside the crossing.
I know the Bedale post very well because I put it there - the original one was missing and I used to volunteer in the signalbox, so inbetween trains I cut vegetation down and eventually I got round to digging the old gardens out. We had the post from somewhere else and I had a good photo of the original in situ so I worked out its position based on the pattern of the stonework behind.
BTW these posts were occasionally used at the start of branch lines and I know where there is still one in situ though obviously I'd better not say where lest it walk during the night.
sss750
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by sss750 »

R. pike wrote: Thu May 22, 2014 6:04 pm I've found plenty of Gangers posts. The Inspectors post is harder to find however..
Can you explain the difference between the use of the G post and the I post?