LNER Lineside Mileage Signs

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: LNER Lineside Mileage Signs

Post by 52A »

At that location the boundary would be between regions, Eastern and Midland, York and, I think Preston, HQs.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Deleted.
Last edited by Mickey on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

52A wrote:At that location the boundary would be between regions, Eastern and Midland, York and, I think Preston, HQs.
The explanation received as stated was via the Waverley route which I believe bypassed Carlisle station so therefore LNER maintenance was continuous.
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

Pre grouping the boundary between the NER and NB was at Canal. Post gtrouping this moved to London Road and after nationalisation the regional boundary moved east to Durran Hill.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

StevieG wrote:It may be wishful thinking, but anyone else have any comment on a vague idea of mine that there used to be a large "London 1 Mile"(+ arrow) ER blue enamel sign on the front of one of the Holloway North signal boxes; North Up I seem to think?
KINGS CROSS 1 MILE----->

Yes i recall seeing the HUGE sign that you are referring to it being a BRITISH RAILWAYS EASTERN REGION BLUE ENAMEL SIGN with white lettering on the front of Holloway North Up s/box around 1967, 68 & 69 up until the time the box closed in 1969/70. (this sign had probably been on the front of the box since the 1950s).

I wonder what became of that sign if it ended up in someone's private collection or was it just dumped on a scrap heap?.

* * * I have a vague feeling that this sign may have read KINGS CROSS 1 1/4 MILES-----> but the last time that i saw this sign was about 43 or 44 years ago so my memory mite be a bit hazy?. * * *
JeffB
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by JeffB »

Hi Micky, you are right, the sign on the box did say Kings Cross 1 1/4 miles. No idea when it was put onto the box but I can remember seeing it from 1957.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

JeffB wrote:Hi Micky, you are right, the sign on the box did say Kings Cross 1 1/4 miles. No idea when it was put onto the box but I can remember seeing it from 1957.
Interesting Jeff 1957 was probably the year that the sign was mounted on the front of the box at Holloway north Up then.

Yes i thought the sign read KINGS CROSS 1 1/4 MILES----->

and not just 1 MILE.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Thanks for the corrections to '1 1/4 Mile' folks.
I think it was just a guess of mine that such a sign would quote a rounded 'whole mile' distance. I didn't even check or mentally picture how far the actual distance was.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

StevieG wrote:Thanks for the corrections to '1 1/4 Mile' folks.
I think it was just a guess of mine that such a sign would quote a rounded 'whole mile' distance. I didn't even check or mentally picture how far the actual distance was.
I saw that original post of yours Stevie that you posted 2 years ago with reference to the KINGS CROSS 1 1/4 MILES sign on the front of Holloway north Up but almost forgot about it until last Sunday and 'dug it 'up' again. Strange hardly anyone posted anything about that sign at the time or since?.

You couldn't miss it folks (if you was around at the time) it was a VERY LARGE SIGN i wonder whatever became of it?.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I was about to ask a question about the concrete post which can be seen a few feet to the right of the Q6's bufferbeam in this photo download/file.php?id=14621&mode=view, since there used to be a similar one at Diamond Hall Junction between Millfield and Pallion stations.
However by a surreal coincidence it has just been answered! On this page http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... s-on-ecml/ scroll down to the post with image by "LNERGE" and it can be seen as a faint image on the page behind the boundary post. So presumably it was "G" for "Gangers" but Gangers what? Trolley maybe?
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Change point of the local Gangers Length.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Oh OK thanks! I suppose it cut down on the likelihood of fights between the gangers!
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

I've found plenty of Gangers posts. The Inspectors post is harder to find however..
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

PinzaC55 wrote:Oh OK thanks! I suppose it cut down on the likelihood of fights between the gangers!
I think it was more to ensure that the gang worked up to the boundary rather than stopping short were they thought the boundary was.

Still in use today in some locations but painted on the sleepers.
Sedgefield
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Sedgefield »

There is a Y/D post still at Longlands south of Northallerton I think. It was at 28m 38chains from York and signified the Engineers boundary between York District and Darlington District. Darlington District was swallowed up by Newcastle Area Civil Engineers in 1966. York succumbed to Leeds in the late seventies so it should have become a L/N Post I suppose. 28m38ch lost its boundary status altogether in 1989 when Newcastle extended south to Skelton Junction.