LNER Lineside Mileage Signs

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER Lineside Mileage Signs

Post by giner »

Yep, the "1 MILE" sign rings a bell with me, too. Here's a picture on e-bay, not the box in question though, darn it. http://www.collectingbids.com/auction_d ... _id=113277
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

I have a couple of mileage signs in my collection.. There seems to have been some sort of seismic activity however.. They were both mounted on the front of Ely Dock Junction at different periods.
Attachments
DSC08103.jpg
hq1hitchin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by hq1hitchin »

The border seems to haver moved south as well - seen in an Oxfordshire garden yesterday
Attachments
036 (2).JPG
A topper is proper if the train's a non-stopper!
swhite01
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by swhite01 »

The Border Crossing sign looks similar to an image showing the sign on the Border Counties Railway at Carham that has appeared on a Facebook group set up for the Borders Railways...
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I'm not sure whether Carham had one or two of those signs but I think one ended up in Norham Station Museum?
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I think the one of the Deadwater ones is in the NRM, Two are still in use im not sure about the others. BTW if its one of a pair its a down side one.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
52A

Post by 52A »

Taken yesterday, a modern replacement of the original. The concrete district boundary sign York/Edinburgh is still in place along with it's flimsy modern zone boundary sign.
Attachments
DSC00252 (2).jpg
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

"The concrete district boundary sign York/Edinburgh is still in place along with it's flimsy modern zone boundary sign."

These are a whole subject in themselves. Particularly interesting in that there used to be one on the Malton & Driffield Railway a few yards south of Burdale Tunnel south portal and yet it had disappeared even when I first visited the tunnel in 1977, the line having closed 19 years earlier in 1958.
But I am sure I saw an LNER drawing for one of these and there was about 5 feet of concrete underground? Why on earth would BR dig it up, in such a wild and obscure place as Burdale?
BTW the Burdale one was Y/H (York/Hull).
52A

Post by 52A »

52A wrote:Why on earth would BR dig it up, in such a wild and obscure place as Burdale?
Sure it wasn't a collector of concrete railway signs! Is there a name for such people?
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

A Concretophile?

There's also (or was) one of these at the site of Hawthorn Towers Halt a couple of miles south of Seaham. I think it is Y/N.
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

PinzaC55 wrote:"The concrete district boundary sign York/Edinburgh is still in place along with it's flimsy modern zone boundary sign."

These are a whole subject in themselves. Particularly interesting in that there used to be one on the Malton & Driffield Railway a few yards south of Burdale Tunnel south portal and yet it had disappeared even when I first visited the tunnel in 1977, the line having closed 19 years earlier in 1958.
But I am sure I saw an LNER drawing for one of these and there was about 5 feet of concrete underground? Why on earth would BR dig it up, in such a wild and obscure place as Burdale?
BTW the Burdale one was Y/H (York/Hull).
Like this?
DSC08718a.jpg
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

I remember asking the question a couple of years ago as to what these signs were after seeing a Y/ E post near Carlisle station.
Somebody did answer to enlighten me.
52A

Post by 52A »

Bryan wrote:I remember asking the question a couple of years ago as to what these signs were after seeing a Y/ E post near Carlisle station.
Somebody did answer to enlighten me.
Are you sure about that lettering Bryan?
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Well the E definately as the explanation was E = Edinburgh via the Waverley route.
Now thinking back I have my doubts.
The other letter could have been an N possibly for CE Newcastle or would it have been D Darlington?
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

These boundary signs appear in an Engineer's catalogue (see R Pike's post above) and the options in 1947 were:
L|Y, Y|L, Y|E, E|Y, LMSR|LNER, LNER|LMSR, GWR|LNER, LNER|GWR, LPTB|LNER and LNER|LPTB
where L = London, Y = York, E = Edinburgh, LMSR and GWR are obvious, and LPTB = London Passenger Transport Board.

Another type was used to delimit the lengths under the responsibility of a Ganger (G) and Inspector (I).