LNER Building and Structure Colours

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

LNER Building and Structure Colours

Post by 65447 »

Having searched the Forum I've found the odd references to this subject, but what I'm really after are any original (or copies of) documentation or information relating to the above, especially that issued by the LNER but also perhaps from a contractor or paint supplier. I'm familiar with Peter Smith's Station Colours website and have discussed its LNER/BR(E) content with him. Nevertheless, this is a secondary (and not entirely accurate or complete) source. I've also a copy of David Adair's Modeller's Guide to the LNER which again is incomplete and only covers one of the three style eras.

Why the request? I'm in the middle of writing a series of Information Sheets for publication by the LNER Study Group, and have almost complete information for 1923 and a good part of what I need for 1930 and 1937. But it is not just the actual painting schemes that I'm interested in but also the accompanying specification/contract sections on materials and workmanship, which describe the paint formulation - very interesting in the period before ready-mixed paints were in general usage - and the surface preparation, filling and stopping, number of coats (and different tints), varnishes and so on.

The intention is to produce complete and accurate data for each of the three style eras, together with explanations of the materials and processes, and later the relationship with BS381 standard colours. A separate Information Sheet will provide details of signage, etc. both pre-and post Gill Sans - see full draft list below. Not only will these provide answers to those questions often posed by modellers but are also intended to be a comprehensive guide for preservationists and restorers.

I hope also to extend the work to include the various Regional schemes post-Nationalisation up to the introduction of the 'Corporate Identity' from the mid-1960s, and back-date to the situation at Grouping, where the Constituent Company schemes would remain extant for some time. Similar information to that requested for the LNER period would be most helpful. The draft proposals for the Information Sheets include:

1. An introduction to the subject matter; the 3 different style periods; explanatory notes
about the nature and purpose of the Specifications, the materials and standards of
workmanship and techniques then used and how they changed over time; Glossary;

2. A - Transcription of GNR Specification of 1915. Included because it provides the basis for
the LNER Specifications and was the style present on former GNR lines until repainting;

B onwards – reserved for Specifications from other Constituent Companies (if available);

3. Transcription of LNER Specification of 1923 (Southern Area);

4. Transcription of LNER Specification of 1930;

5. Transcription of LNER Specification of 1937;

6. Notes concerning the subsequent Railway Executive Specifications for the Eastern, North
Eastern and Scottish Regions, and how they impacted on the existing LNER style(s);

7. Supporting material; paint colours, suppliers and British Standard 381; annotated drawings
and photographs showing the application of the various painting schemes;

8. Signage and Advertising Boards. Complements the information in the above.

If you can assist in any way please respond with details of the material or information available. Many thanks in anticipation.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER Building and Structure Colours

Post by Bryan »

On the LNER Yahoo group
I found the page below specifying 1937 structue colour scheme.
You may need to sign up to access it.

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/kJ-wTNLamx ... RPAINT.DOC
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Bryan,

Thanks for that but I should have said that (unsurprisingly) I'm already a member of that Group and mentioned that I had a copy of his earlier transcription of the 1937 scheme.

I'm pretty certain from comparison with another source that there are a couple of transcription errors in it, and of course it does not include the information on materials and workmanship that I need. However, I shall now make contact with Alan in Oz to find out what else he might have.

Thanks again.
hainaultandy
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by hainaultandy »

I have found a copy of a document dating from 1946 which is a tender notice to repaint Faringdon Street Depot and warehouse, it lists specifications but no mention of the companies paint colours,I wondered if this might be useful in your research.
Attachments
lnerpaint 002.jpg
Old_Taoist
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Old_Taoist »

As a new modeller, I too am looking for information regarding paint schemes.

I'm working on a Diorama which depicts a small LNER branch line in Norfolk, mainly during WWII period.
Would all buildings be Brown (sills/frames) with cream, like they use at NNR Weybourne?

Would be nice if this info was put into the general section, alongside Loco's and Rolling Stock, etcetera.

Thanks.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

But please see my caveats regarding this source in the first paragraph of my OP... apart from certain errors it does not describe the actual application of colours to the various elements.

In 1937 the LNER adopted a greens & cream-based style that replaced the brown & cream used from 1930, which in turn replaced the 1923 scheme. It's conceivable but unlikely that a station would not have been repainted 10 years later; certainly the war did not stop repainting, as witnessed by a number of contract documents similar to that for Farringdon dated during it.

Weybourne is ex-M&GN, later absorbed into the LNER, so the paint scheme and colours may represent a different style and/or period. It's always risky to copy what is a re-creation. The Mid-Norfolk Railway is perhaps a better example since I know that they followed the original specifications and method of application much more closely.

There are still a few discrepancies or anomalies in the information I have collated on the actual colour schemes and I am still trying to complete the equivalents to the BS381 colours by including the specification for reproduction on screen and by printing. The LNER special colours are proving most difficult.