Chesterfield GCR and LD&ECR

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

talltim
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Chesterfield GCR and LD&ECR

Post by talltim »

Can anyone point me to sources of info on these two stations? I have the Great Central Rly. North of Nottingham Vol.2 book and the Marsden Rail 10 (Sheffield to Nottingham) video wich have a few views of the GCR station and the Oakwood Press LD&ECR book which has a view of the LD&ECR station as well as few other shots from various historical image website and books. The LD&ECR rail station seems to be extremely unphotographed
Does anyone have any track plans?

Tim
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 45609 »

Hi Tim,
I'm new to this group and just read your message. I have some info on Chesterfield Market Place (LDECR) station in a back issue of the Great Central Railway Society Journal. Contact me off list and I can probably scan a copy and e-mail to you. Also there is some information, including plans, about Chesterfield Central in the following 2 books.

The Great Central Then and Now, by Mac Hawkins, pub D&C 1991

and

Sheffield Victoria To Chesterfield Central, by Ken Grainger, pub Foxline 2002

Regards,
Morgan
bw1165
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by bw1165 »

If you can get in touch with Ken Grainger (perhaps via his publisher, Foxline) he can probably help, as he is a fount of knowledge on the LDEC.

Another option may be to contact, or even join, the GCRS. The GCRS has a website at http://www.thewoodheadsite.org.uk/gcrs/

Brian W
talltim
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by talltim »

Actually, since I asked the question, I have met a guy at Clay Cross Model Railway club who has lots of info about all three Chesterfield stations.
However both those books look good, and I hadn't heard of either so I will be looking out for them. I might even join the GCRS.

I dunno, I'm supposed to be a BR late 70's modeller and I keep getting distracted by all this olde worlde stuff! :P

Thanks for your help

(PM sent to you Morgan)

Tim