Lost stations and services in 1948

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Lost stations and services in 1948

Post by John B »

Whilst thinking about named trains on another thread I had cause to refer to a BR timetable I possess dated 27th September 1948, about nine months after nationalisation.

There are many now closed stations listed with their post war levels of service still intact and listed.

If you would like to know details of the services on your favourite bit of North Eastern Region line then ask and I will endeavour answer your query.

Malton to Driffield had only three services; the first departing at 7.00am
calling at Settrington at 7.08, North Grimston at 7.11, Wharram at 7.16, Burdale at 7.21, Sledmere and Fimber at 7.26, Wetwang at 7.30, Garton at 7.36 Arriving Driffield at 7.42am

The other two services on this line on weekdays departed Malton at 11.00am and 5.15pm each, they also taking precisely 42 minutes for the journey.
John B
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

John,

Early memory no. 1.

When I was very small, I was taken by my parents in their motorcycle combination for a trip out into the country. I would guess that it was a summer Sunday and probably 1948 or 1949. I sat on my mothers knee and my big sister sat behind my father.

We went from York to St Gregory's Minster near the Pickering to Kirkby Moorside single track branch and I played in the dried up river bed. Suddenly there was a train whistle and I looked up and saw a passenger train go past over the nearby viaduct. If it was about mid afternoon, what train would that have been?

Colombo
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

An interesting one Colombo, especially as there was a weekday only service of three trains each way per day from York to Pickering and three coming the other way.

Depart York at 7.20am arriving at Pickering at 9.08am
Depart York at 10.25am arriving at Pickering at 12.08am
Depart York at 5.55pm arriving at Pickering at 7.42pm

Depart Pickering at 7.10am arriving at York at 8.47am
Depart Pickering at 10.37am arriving at York at 12.22.pm
Depart Pickering at 5.55pm arriving at York at 7.32pm

There were twelve stops along the way so I guess you would call this a stopping service, stations en route included:
York, Beningborough, Tollerton, Alne, Raskelf, Husthwaite Gate, Coxwold, Ampleforth College, Nunnington, Helmsley, Nawton, Kirbymoorside, Sinnington and Pickering.

There also were another five weekday only services from York to Pickering and Pickering to York via Malton.

Colombo, your childhood visit to this line must have been on a weekday.

I used to ride pillion on my father's combination, it was a Norton B12 I think, a 500cc single cylinder thumper with a Swallow Sidecar (Swallow being the company who launched Jaguar cars - hence the SS Jaguars)
John B
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Could it have been a Special?

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

Yes Richard,

That would seem to be the most logical and likely answer, especially if the train was seen in summer.
John B
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

John, Richard,

I just assumed that it was a Sunday. Quite possibly it was a weekday. However it would have had to be the 5.55 p.m. departure from Pickering which does not seem likely, so I am now thinking that what I saw was perhaps a special, possibly from County Durham, and that it was a Saturday afternoon.

I suppose the loco could have been almost anything, but I think it was probably something like an A8 because it reminded me of my Hornby clockwork train. I am guessing that a G5 would not be pulling a special.

The other possibility was that it was the afternoon pick up goods, and so, if a tank engine, it could have been a Malton G5 or maybe an N8 or N9. I may have only seen the vans in a goods train and misinterpretted what I was seeing.

Colombo