Middlesbrough Railway Station information

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Middlesbrough Railway Station information

Post by karlrestall »

Hello all,

I am at the moment researching Middlesbrough Railway Station before 1942 when the bomb damaged the magnificent building and BR decided to wreck it even more by ripping down the rest of the roof and building the monstrosity that is Zetland House :evil: (Its being pulled down now :D , not before time I say) Anyway I am digressing. Does anyone have any information on it? For example photographs, drawings, plans. I have 'A History of North Eastern Railway Architecture' which has brilliantly detailed plans and information but it does not show the buildings on platform 2. Can anyone help with this?

Any help would be greatly received.

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Karl,

I have the same book from the NERA. I agree that it is absolutely brilliant and a bargain at the price. Sorry, I have no more information for you. I wish you well in your endeavours and I hope that your scheme comes fully to fruition.

Colombo
Red Barron
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Red Barron »

Hi Karl

Go to http://middlesborough.bigpondhosting.com/
might be of some help ?

Regards

Neil
Malcolm
GNR C1 4-4-2

Middlesborough Station

Post by Malcolm »

Hi Karl,

The only picture I know of is at the following address. Taken in 1900

http://www.thisismiddlesbrough.com/gall ... h_pg_3.asp

You'll have to scroll down a little way and the picture is not great quality, but it does show some of the roof and the outside of the station.

Hope this helps.

Malcolm
NSR_Fan
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by NSR_Fan »

Hi
The attached image - at least I hope its attached - is from A portrait of the NER by Williamson & Grocock, NERA. Its obviously a coloured postcard but shows the buildings & parts of roof. Hope it helps.
[/img]
Attachments
Middlesborough.jpg
Middlesborough Station
(574.1 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Seahouses in the Sixties - bliss