L&ner guards whistle

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

conemaster
NER Y7 0-4-0T

L&ner guards whistle

Post by conemaster »

i wonder if any of you lner experts could help me with this,
i have the option to purchase this wistle for about 50pounds

it has l&ner stamped on the side and Acme Thunderer Made In England on the top. it is in mint condition and works well. are these rare or are they quite a common relic of time?

thanks in advance
Philip

here is a pic
sir-nigel
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by sir-nigel »

Its around that price depending on the year, have a look at the website below for prices (No 58)

http://www.gloucesterrailwayana.com/whistles.htm
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I guess the "LNER Whistles" that I often see on EBay are usually replicas, then?

Their prices tend to be quite a bit lower, although to be honest I've rarely watched them to the end.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Philip,

Anybody could buy a plain whistle for £5 and stamp L&NER on it. Don't buy it without provenance. Who was it issued to? Where has been for the last 70 years? I think that the "&" was dropped quite early on.

Colombo
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

Phillip,

I have an identical whistle. Mine was discovered thirty years ago in some household effects found when my father was appointed for probate purposes.

The L.N.E.R. has full stops after each letter and there are quite distinct serifs on the lettering.

Appearance wise your whistle looks genuine to me.
John B
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

I have a plastic Black BR Version, a sort of freebee from someone who works on the railway...don't know where it is though!...think it's been nicked!!!
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk