The Railways of Ferme Park, Harringay & Hornsey

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

The Railways of Ferme Park, Harringay & Hornsey

Post by 61070 »

Apologies if this has been mentioned here before, but I've just come across a reference to an article of the above title in a back issue of 'Railway Archive' magazine and I thought it might be of interest:

http://www.lightmoor.co.uk/railway_archive_10.htm

It appears to be quite a long article (pages 5 to 30?). I haven't seen a copy, and it's not a part of the world I'm familiar with, but the 'taster' photo on the web page looks like a location that's been referred to in several threads, and one well known to a number of members of the forum - either now or in former times. Copies seem to still to be available from the publisher.
Mickey

Re: The Railways of Ferme Park, Harringay & Hornsey

Post by Mickey »

Yes i always liked the railway around the Harringay West station, Ferme Park yards, Hornsey station & Hornsey carriage sidings areas. :wink:
Last edited by Mickey on Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Good photo of the viaduct, two little bits though, the line right next to the viaduct wall, was a through line to Hornsey shed and Hornsey CS, the other siding mentioned (with the buffer stops) I'm 99% sure was the head shunt for Ferme Pk.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
JeffB
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by JeffB »

Correct Manna. What a photograph, worked over that a few times in my life. Even took a 'Blue un' (A4) over it once.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Manna,
I think that, the text* about a spur, in a caption for a photo that includes a spur, can easily be misleading.
I believe that the 'short shunt spur' mentioned, is not the one in the picture (there would be little point in having signals at a line's buffer stop), but the one in Harringay station, between the Up Goods No.2 and the up yard, for reversing moves of trains and locos either coming from or going to, the viaduct or Engine line, and which had a 2-arm bracket signal leading back out of it towards Ferme Park, with one main arm applying (I think) for moves to the Engine Line; the other definitely reading to the Down Viaduct line [later - the viaduct single line;- became so when the viaduct bridge was replaced (around 1960?) as a single track structure and so the southern approach from 'Harringay Goods' box was also singled: The single line split into double track at the north end of 'the viaduct's new bridge.]

* - ("There was a third route, into a spur which terminated the Up Goods No. 3 line, the route to which was signalled by the disc.
The next signal to the left in the foreground is even more interesting. It has the same configuration of arms as its neighbour, reading to the same route. It applies to the Up Goods No. 3 line, which effectively ends here, terminating in a set of buffer stops at the end of a short shunt spur")
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Yes the north end of the flyover was 'double track' and if i remember correctly the points being situated just over halfway up the flyover near to the top of the viaduct/flyover these points being a set of motor-points worked by Ferme park north down s/box.
Last edited by Mickey on Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Micky wrote:Yes the north end of the flyover was 'double track' and if i remember correctly the points being situated just over halfway up the flyover near to the top of the viaduct/flyover these points being a set of motor-points worked by Ferme park north down s/box.
Surprisingly, they were actually Harringay Up Goods's, with both boxes slotting both of the signals protecting them.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Which just goes to prove you can still learn something new 40 years later!. :wink:

That bit of raiway between Ferme Park north down & Harringay up goods s/boxes including the flyover was always abit of a strange one as far as the signalling was concerned (it was to me?) i never really knew who controlled what?.
Last edited by Mickey on Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Micky wrote:
StevieG wrote:
Micky wrote:Yes the north end of the flyover was 'double track' and if i remember correctly the points being situated just over halfway up the flyover near to the top of the viaduct/flyover these points being a set of motor-points worked by Ferme park north down s/box.
Surprisingly, they were actually Harringay Up Goods's, with both boxes slotting both of the signals protecting them.

Which just goes to prove you can still learn something new 40 years later! :wink:

That bit of railway between Ferme park north down & Harringay up goods s/boxes including the flyover was always bit of a strange one as far as the signalling was concerned (it was to me?) i never really knew who controlled what?.
Another slight quirk there: - IIRC, those two signals at the north end of the viaduct bridge over all the up lines, the Down Fast and DS1 & 2, and which applied to opposing directions while protecting the Viaduct line's single-to-double track points, looked like they were ordinary medium-height straight-post signals standing on, or fixed to the side of, the viaduct's northern ramp's masonry. But I think they were actually very tall tubular posts which unobtrusively had their bases at ground level, while standing close to the side of the viaduct's brickwork.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

HORNSEY UP GOODS S/BOX Lever frame dated March 1959.

Lever frame contains 90 levers.

1.Bolt Lock for Points in Up Slow Line to Up Goods Line no.1
2.Up Slow Line Home to Up Goods Line no.1 (Slotted with Hornsey no.2)
4.Trailing Points in Up Slow Line (Bolt Locked by Hornsey no.2)
13.Facing Points in Up Goods Line (Bolt Locked by Hornsey no.2)
14.FPL (in) for no.13 Points
15.Up Goods Line Directing Home signal to Up Slow Line (Slotted by Hornsey no.2)
16.Up Goods Line Directing Home signal along Up Goods Line no.1
17.Up Goods Line Home signal
18.Up Goods Line Distant signal
19.Disc signal to Disc signal no.59 or to Disc signal nos.62 & 67
20.Points in Up Carriage Line to Up Goods Line no.1
21.FPL (in) for no.20 Points
22.Up Carriage Line Directing Home signal to Up Slow Line (Slotted with Hornsey no.2)
23.Up Carriage Line Directing Home signal to Up Goods no.1 Line
28.FPL (in) for no.29 Points
29.Points in Reception Line no.2 to Reception Line no.1
31.Facing & Trap Points in Up Goods Line & Reception Line
32.FPL (in) for no.31 Points
33.Miniture signal arm from Up Carriage Line to Reception Line
34.Points in Up Goods Line to Reception Line no.1 & no.2
35.FPL (in) for no.34 Points
36.Miniture signal arm from Up Goods Line to Reception Line no.1 & no.2
37.Up Carriage Line Home Directing signal along Up Goods no.2 Line
38.Points in Up Goods Line to Up Carriage Line
39.FPL (in) for no.38 Points
40.Up Goods Line Home signal to Up Carriage Line
41.Miniture signal arm in Up Goods Line no.1 to Disc signal no.19
42.Disc signal in Up Goods Line to Up Carriage Line (Slotted with Ground Frame)
43.Points Up Carriage Line to Up Goods Line
44.FPL (in) for no.43 Points
45.Up Carriage Line Home signal to Up Goods Line
47.Up Carriage Line Home signal
48.Ground Frame release for 5 lever Ground Frame in Up Carriage Line
51.Points in Reception no.3 & no.4
52.FPL (in) for no.51 Points
55.Points in Reception Line to Reception Line no.5 Locked by FPL no.52
56.Points in Up Carriage Line to Reception Line
57.FPL (in) for no.56 Points
58.Miniture signal arm in Up Carriage Line to Reception Line no.3 & no.4
59.Disc signal in Up Goods Line to Disc signal no.42 & to Group 1 sidings
60.Points from Group 1 sidings to Up Goods Line
61.Miniture signal arm in Up Goods Line no.2 to Disc signals no.62 & no.67
62.Disc signal in Up Carriage Line to Group 1 sidings
63.Points from Group 1 sidings to Up Carriage Line
64.Miniture signal arm from Group 1 sidings to Up Goods Line
65.Miniture signal arm from Group 1 sidings to Up Carriage Line
66.Miniture signal arm from Group 1 sidings to Shunting Spur
67.Disc signal in Up Carriage Line to Group 2 sidings
68.Points from Group 2 sidings to Up Carriage Line
69.Points in Engine & Exchange Line to Shunting Spur
70.Miniture signal arm from Group 2 sidings to Up Carriage Line
71.Miniture signal arm from Group 2 sidings to Shunting Spur
72.Miniture signal arm from Up Carriage Line to Reception Line no.5
73.Miniture signal arm in Engine & Exchange Line to Reception Line no.5
74.Miniture signal arm in Loco Outlet Road to Engine & Exchange Line
75.Points in Engine & Exchange Line to Loco Outlet Road
76.Miniture signal arm in Engine & Exchange Line to Loco Outlet Road
77.Miniture signal arm in Engine & Exchange Line to Group 1 sidings
78.Points in Engine & Exchange Line to Carriage Line
79.Miniture signal arm from Group 1 sidings to Engine & Exchange Line
80.Points in Up Carriage siding
81.Miniture signal arm from Up Carriage siding to Engine & Exchange Line
82.Miniture signal arm from Engine & Exchange Line to Group 2 sidings
83.Miniture signal arm from Group 2 sidings to Engine & Exchange Line
85.Miniture signal arm from Up Carriage siding to Shunting Spur
88.Disc signal Loco Fuelling Road to Engine & Exchange Line
89.Points Engine & Exchange Line to Loco Fuelling Road
90.Miniture signal arm from Engine & Exchange Line to Loco Fuelling Road

The above wording WASN'T taken from the Hornsey Up Goods 'lever badges' but was 'interpreted' by myself from a complete S&T diagram of the box dated March 3rd 1959.
Last edited by Mickey on Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

StevieG wrote:
While watching a dvd of amateur colour film footage from 1960 that featured various steam hauled trains passing through Harringay West station and also passed the area of Ferme Park South Down (box) with the 'Harringay flyover' in some of the scenes I never knew that that the Harringay flyover was double-track running in both directions throughout all the way from Harringay Up Goods to & from Ferme Park North Down boxes?.

A short segment of the dvd features two steam locos coupled together crossing over the main running lines heading south towards Harringay Up Goods box while another steam loco passess them at the midway point on top of the Harringay flyover heading in the opposite direction towards Ferme Park North Down box!.

Very interesting indeed.

Below. Hornsey station looking northwards towards Wood Green in the far distance with Hornsey no.2 (box) to the left and Hornsey Up Goods (box) to the right in 1905.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?view= ... .MVUzC7c31...

Mickey