Carriage Codes

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Carriage Codes

Post by CVR1865 »

what was the code used to describe non corridor stock in a train formation, for example BCK is a Brake corridor composite, but what was the code for the equivalent Brake composite that wasn't corridored or gangwayed?

Many thanks for any help that can be given.
Simon Baldwin
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Suburban coaches

Post by sawdust »

Well Simon a non gangwayed Brake composite would be a BC and a full third is a T. A Brake third a BT, I don't think you would get a 'C' because first class normally get a lavatory, hence CL

Sawdust.
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Thank you
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

On a similar vein, Mark 1 corridor carriages often have C1 painted on the ends next to the corridor. What is the significance of these letters and did any other carriage stock carry them?

Colombo
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 60114 »

Random guess here, Corridor Mk1.. i too have always wondered what C1 stands for
sawdust

Post by sawdust »

Colombo wrote:On a similar vein, Mark 1 corridor carriages often have C1 painted on the ends next to the corridor. What is the significance of these letters and did any other carriage stock carry them?

Colombo
Have you ever noticed that mk3 and other 23 metre stock has C3 painted on the ends?

It is a gauging restriction because of the vehicle length. Pre mk1 stock was usually a tad shorter. The restriction was often about the next road or platform being empty. The bay at Whitby had such a restriction but on stock over 52'.

Sawdust.
talltim
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by talltim »

I think the C stands for Coach as there are other gauge codes for different types of stock, but don't quote me. I have often wondered what C2 was. AFAIK all lines have a clearance rating, but I'm not sure how many passenger lines still have less than C3 as most modern multiple units are C3. Also I don't know how stock for lines with less than C1 clearance is classified (e.g. Hastings line pre-singling through the tunnels)

The appendices of this document defines the standards for the various gauges used.

Tim
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

What was the carriage code for the LNER sleeper cars, and how did they differentiate between the artics and the first and third class coaches?
sawdust

Post by sawdust »

CVR1865 wrote:What was the carriage code for the LNER sleeper cars, and how did they differentiate between the artics and the first and third class coaches?
First class SLF
First Twin SLFT
Comp SLC
Comp Twin SLCT
Third SLT

Happy to help.

Sawdust.
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Thanks for the codes, does the SLT also cover the convertible third class sleeper?

thanks again

Simon
sawdust

Post by sawdust »

CVR1865 wrote:Thanks for the codes, does the SLT also cover the convertible third class sleeper?

thanks again

Simon
Yes

Sawdust