Richmond And Hawes Branches

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Richmond And Hawes Branches

Post by majormagna »

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to ask this, if not then I'd appreciate the thread being moved to the correct board; thanks!

I'd like to know what kind of locomotives and coaches worked on the Eryholme-Richmond and the Northallerton-Hawes lines around 1955-60 (Including any foreigners if avaliable) and what sheds they were normally from, aside from Darlington, Northallerton and possibly Kirkby Stephen for the foreigners.

Many thanks for any help that is provided.
Moors Bound
James Brodie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Richmond And Hawes Branches

Post by James Brodie »

A8s A5s L1s J39s for starters- Coaches a mix of NER elliptical and clerestries -Gresley and Thompson suburbans.Jim Brodie.
majormagna
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by majormagna »

Thanks, I also now know that 3MT tank locos were used at least in 1955 and that in the mid-60's K1's worked the Richmond line.

Still not too sure on Ex-LMS locos on the Hawes line (Aside from the 4F) Perhaps some Ivatt 2MT's?
Moors Bound
Solario
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Solario »

My response mainly relates to the Wensleydale line.

The regular passenger service between Northallerton and Hawes ceased in 1954 (according to "The Wensleydale Railway" by CS Hallas), so apart from maybe the odd special, there would have been no passenger stock on that line in the time period you mention. There was a period in the 1970s/80s when a few passenger trains were run under the "Dales Rail" banner.
There was a Garsdale Hawes service until 1959.

The last Northallerton Garsdale passenger train was worked by J21 65038 on 24th April 1954, the following day the last Northallerton Leyburn passenger train ran.

In the last few years of passenger operation, loco types used included D20 & G5. Garsdale Hawes trains were worked by Fairburn 2-6-4Ts and I dare say other LMS classes.

Q6s worked goods on both branches, especially the Redmire stone trains. I would imagine that various NER & LNER 0-6-0s would be used on pick up goods. There is a picture of Ivatt 2MT 46475 on snowplough duties at Askrigg in 1962. I would hazard a guess that Ivatt LMS 4MT 2-6-0s were not strangers to either line.
Greedy Boards
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Greedy Boards »

Hi

a good source(s) of info/images would be the Railway Memories Series:

No 17: Darlington & South West Durham (with Richmond & The Stainmore Line)
No 23: Northallerton Ripon & Wensleydale

Both by Stephen Chapman, published by Bellcode Books of Todmorden.

No 17 has a couple of images of K1 2-6-0 No 62005 on the Catterick Camp Railway Tour in 1967, & an A5/2 4-6-2T, and refers to weight restrictions of trains hauled by a J25.

No 23 has a plethora of images from the Wensleydale Branch, both from LNER & LMS origins: the ubiquitous G5 0-4-4T; J21 0-6-0; K1 2-6-0; D20 4-4-0; Sentinel Y3 Shunter; Fairburn 2-6-4T, B16 4-6-0 on the odd railtour; ex-MR 4F 0-6-0 from Garsdale; and finally Ivatt 2-6-2T from the same direction.

If you are interested Kernow are currently selling the Model Rail/Dapol Sentinel Shunter for £75.00 each in a variety of liveries, and I understand that many have already been ordered, but that there may be more to follow.

Regards

Greedy Boards
North Eastern Matters
James Brodie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by James Brodie »

we worked goods on the branch with WDs and on the pick ups we used T2s (Q6s)
65038 was at Newport for a while in lieu of 65720, we got her back in her last years and she worked South Bank pilot regularly(65720) just after the war two J72s worked a Boy Scouts special to the abbey up there. The engines had screw couplings fitted for this working.Revaulx or Jervaulx I forget which but there again there was a station that caused booking office staff problems-Constable Burtom or Burton Constable...!Jim Brodie
50C
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 50C »

From March 1955 to February 1963 Northallerton had a batch of standard 78xxx 2-6-0's which I assume would have found there way up the Hawes branch at some time or other on pick-up freights.

50c
Droveno1
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Droveno1 »

There are pictures of a 2P at Hawes and also 4P compound 41012 works a special from either there or Leyburn.
Daily there was a fitted freight and the Bonnyface pass ex, which turned the loco at Gardale and ran tender or cab first to Hawes, likely both better up the bank and easier for running through. The freight preceded the pass ex into Hawes, and would have been shunting in the yard, whilst the NER started back to Allerton, so may have been 3 locos there every afternoon, shame no one photoed this mixture.
On the day of the infamous Garsdale derailment, it seems there was 2x quadruple headers, one triple header and a piloted express, courtesy of the Midlands small engine policy, a busy place indeed!