Don't laugh...

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Green Arrow
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Don't laugh...

Post by Green Arrow »

I have always had an intrest in railways in Northern England and Scotland. (Anything north of York)

Now, I read something today, and that set me thinking. If there's a Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway Society, why not a Waverly Route society to restore the line?

Hence forth, I will get into starting this society. Please don't laugh.
Nice N2 I've got here. Probably send it to 'The Cross'.

Green Arrow,
Darlington Sig Shed
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The Scottish Parliament have beaten you to it - they passed an Act earlier this year to re-open the first stage of what is planned to be a two stage project.

It looks like these guys are doing a lot of the promotion:

http://www.waverleyroutetrust.org.uk/

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Green Arrow
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Green Arrow »

Only as far as Tweedbank.

Green Arrow,
Darlington Sig Shed
Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Tom Quayle »

Ive read about the waverly plans. As for the socity maybe a group like the Friends of the Settle and Carlisle is a good idea to back up Railtour operateors
The weather here is Baltic but so were the tank engines
Furness Railway and GCR fan.
125mph tilt vs 126.5mph duck
Advanced North West Productions.
Green Arrow
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Green Arrow »

That's a great idea!

But still... :)

Green Arrow,
Darlington Sig Shed
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes Tweedbank is the first stage.
Considering that that is where the population is, it makes sense to start at the most economically viable end!

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Tom Quayle

Post by Tom Quayle »

I agree Richard not much point of starting anywhere else. Will it be under the Scotrail franshise or open to offers from other companies if the full route is opened up
Green Arrow
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Green Arrow »

There's always the Carlisle end! :D

Green Arrow,
Darlington Sig Shed
Tom Quayle

Post by Tom Quayle »

Yeah but theres the conjestion that could be caused by a new line. Platform 8 is the only one that isn't used much or the service could share platform 7 with Dumfries trains. The other option is Platform 1 (used by Virgin when other platforms not avalable and stranrar-Newcastle traffic aswell as freight to and from the cumbrian coast.

Then theres the route itself theres a miltary base and the A74(M) to contend with. Not trying to be a spoil sport but there is alot of things that limit the operation and reinsatement.
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

sorry to disappoint, Green Arrow, but there is already an active preservation society for the Waverley Route. The Waverley Route Heritage Association (here) is currently in the process of rebuilding a section of the original route, in the area around Whitrope tunnel. Unfortunately, they can't build line through the tunnel itself as part of it has collapsed, and is now shut off. However, they have their own visitors' centre and some rolling stock and locomotives (only diesel though, it seems). Various info about their projects and other such information can be found on the site :D most of the pages they did have on the history of the route, etc. aren't there at the moment, as they're in the midst of a site rebuild.[/url]
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Waverley

Post by 52D »

Get the route built as far as St Boswells, reinstate the Tweed valley route, reopen Tweedmouth as a passenger interchange, evict the builders merchant from 52D and stable multiple units to work a circular service. Tweedmouth, Berwick, Waverley,Tweedbank,St Boswells,Tweedmouth. Of course the multiple units will have to be named in the best tradition of the NBR & LNER using names from Atlantics & Pacifics that reflect the local area.
While i am at it a nice little branch could be reinstated from a reopened Reston to Duns and because of the biggest man made forest in Europe at Kielder a good excuse to take timber out by rail could finance a southern extension then its only a stones throw to Carlisle
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Waverley

Post by Bullhead »

52D wrote:Because of the biggest man made forest in Europe at Kielder a good excuse to take timber out by rail could finance a southern extension
There was, in fact, serious talk of reopening the Carlisle - Riccarton - Kielder section in the mid-1990s for timber extraction purposes.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?