new builds

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

twomanydjs
NER Y7 0-4-0T

new builds

Post by twomanydjs »

if you could re build a lner eng what would it be ?
Dave R
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Dave,

For the LNER, I expect that many would say a P2, Cock o'the North, however I would suggest something like a Class D49 Hunt with rotary poppet valve gear and a foxy nameplate. I think they epitomised the LNER branchline and secondary main line locomotives.

You did say LNER Locomotive, so presumably I could not nominate a NER loco. On the other hand, if you will allow, a big omission in the preservation scene is the Raven Class V or Z Atlantic. We forget that whilst the A3s were attracting all the publicity in the interwar years, most of the main line trains were still being worked by GNR, NER and NBR Atlantics and 4-4-0s. Gresley did a lot of development work on them to improve their performance.

Colombo
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

i would build a Claud Hamilton. The LNER didn't build them but Gresley did work on them to make the Super Claud, so its technically a LNER loco ish. For pure LNERness then it would be the V4. A mini green arrow would make for an interesting accessory for the mainline and an quaint alternative for lines that have weight restrictions, it could almost go where no railtour has been before.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Anything NER - A G5 would be great, but looks like i'm already covered on that one!
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Has anyone heard any news on the G5?

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

Although I could suggest quite a long list (which would certainly include a G5 and a "Hunt"), I'd very much like to see an A8: the thought of a huge Pacific tank locomotive appeals greaty.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

Dave,

You may care to look at the Forum's LNER Locomotive pages under "Dream of steam" - lots of ideas/thoughts there!

Click on this link.

viewtopic.php?t=54

I still think an L1 would be really cool and eminently useable on small heritage lines, subject to fixing the hot axle box problem.

I agree with Colombo about a P2, a P2 in an unaltered state would be something really special though not the most practical loco for anything other than main line use. I also like the idea of naming it "Glendaruel Highlander" to compliment "Cock o' the North", two famous 6/8 pipe tune marches.

My ten pen'orth
Last edited by John B on Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
John B
lielestosbrat
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by lielestosbrat »

For me it would have to be a P1. I just love the loco and have recently read in OS Nocks book on Gresley Pacifics that Bulleid thought it was the most handsome looking loco Gresley had desgined. I have to agree with him on that :D.

Rob
Andrew Craig-Bennett
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Andrew Craig-Bennett »

Another vote for the V4. "LNER" almost means "Gresley" and the V4 design is "late Gresley" with many typical features , and excellent route availability.
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 60114 »

Some news for you Richard,albiet you may already know this.

200,000 pound raised, the group are looking for 4 inderviduals to put in 50,000 each,it shall be built at darlington and is hoped that it will run on the Weardale. plans are to compllete it by 2011

Assuming when its built it will come to the NNR for a season or a gala, could prove an interesting double header with the N7, not to Mention then The N2 at GCR will be done and that the J21 will be in service with the J15 soon going out of service could be quite a year for me and my camera!

Now my personal choices

I second P1, they were beautiful locos, dare i say more so then an A1/A3

L1 would also be a fine choice for a new build aswell as a V4

I'd also choose a B2 or a B17 perhaps a J39 either that or GER/M&GN imfact anything that ended up in LNER/BR but the ones id like to see the most are the above
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

The LBSCR Class H2 Atlantics were built from the drawings of the GNR large Atlantics. There was little to distinguish between to the two classes other than the livery and the detailing.

There is a group on the Bluebell Railway who are assembling a new Class H2 Atlantic using a GNR large Atlantic boiler which was built in 1942 and was used for about 3 years on a loco. It was found in industrial use and in very good condition, somewhere round Doncaster. I think that it may have been used as a pressure vessel or an air receiver for many years.

When it is complete, there will be little to distinguish it from the GNR one in the NRM and it will be substantially LNER in origin.

I look forward to seeing the double header which will inevitably be arranged.

Colombo
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

60114: Thanks for the update. Do you have a weblink that I could add to the G5 page?

Colombo: A double header (or triple header with the C2?) would be grand to see. Of course that means they have to get it running again :-)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 60114 »

unfortunatly not yet, i'll see what i can find

From Mike
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

There was a good two page article on it in a recent Steam Railway magazine - it will be built as one of two locomotives which didn't make it into BR service, so it'll be finished in NER colours, which is actually a shame as they were one of the few pre-br locomotives that look really good in BR colours! Still, fantastic to hear there will be one about
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

What was the second locomotive?

I'll have to start subscribing to one of the mainstream 'full size' rail mags. None are available here in the US alas.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia